Scarborough Saturday League cup reports: Edgehill knock Pier out of Challenge Cup

Edgehill progressed in the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup after beating Scarborough rivals West Pier 5-2.

Saturday, 7th December 2019, 5:08 pm
Updated Saturday, 7th December 2019, 5:55 pm
Scarborough Saturday League cup reports

A neat goal from Rich Tolliday handed Pier the lead after five minutes, but Tyson Stubbings levelled matters up just two minutes later for Edgehill after a hotly-disputed corner wasn't cleared properly.

The game swung in Edgehill's favour on 30 minutes when they were awarded a penalty, again to the frustration of the Pier contingent, after a hand-ball from Sam Garnett, Sean Exley smashing in from the spot.

Will Jenkinson's men then had midfielder Martin Cooper sent to the sin-bin, but battled back, Si Reeves firing in to make it 2-2.

Steve Clegg's men got their noses back in front heading in at the break though, Frank Belt the man getting the goal on 45 minutes.

Pier were reduced to 10 men just five minutes into the second half, keeper Jordan Wood being sent for an early bath for dissent.

A second pen from Exley and late strike from Ryan Link handed Edgehill a 5-2 victory.

Skipper Joe Gallagher was Edgehill's star man after a solid display out of position at centre-back, with Ryan Link also impressing in midfield.

Pier player-boss Jenkinson singled out goalscorers Tolliday and Reeves as his side's stand-out performers.

"I can't fault any of them, they gave everything," said Jenkinson.

"We pushed and pushed, but unfortunately it wasn't our day."

Holders Itis Itis Rovers cruised into the next round courtesy of a comfortable 5-0 win at Carpaby Rovers.

Luke Jones' bullet header put Jordan Lee's men a goal up before skipper Jack Ramos grabbed their second.

Two goals from Neil Forsyth handed Rovers a 4-0 advantage before left-back Josh Young completed the scoring.

Rose was Rovers' star man at centre-back.

A depleted Seamer side were dumped out after a hard-fought 8-4 defeat at North Riding Football League outfit Whitby Fishermens Society.

Joe Tiffany's men fell 3-0 behind but Kris Tate hit a penalty and a free-kick to reduce their deficit to 3-2.

The hosts hit back again to go 5-2 ahead before Ali Caw's brace again gave Seamer hope at 5-4.

The Fishermen put the cup tie to bed late on though, netting a further three goals to wrap up an 8-4 success.

Caw was Seamer's star man.

Edgehill Reserves battled back from a 2-0 half-time deficit to win 6-3 at Scalby Reserves in the League Trophy.

Two goalkeeping errors handed Scalby a 2-0 lead, brothers George and Scott Wilson profiting to find the back of the net.

The second half was all Edgehill though and a stunning strike from Jake Reeves halved their deficit before Gary Hepples equalised with a composed finish.

The turnaround was complete for Alec Coulson's men when Hepples bagged his second and Matty Forsyth bundled in before two goals from Reeves sealed his hat-trick and put Edgehill 6-2 up.

Scalby kept battling and a George Wilson goal after a neat through-ball from Aidan Thomas finished things off at 6-3.

Right-back Max Wright was named man of the match for the victors, while Scalby's stand-out performer was George Wilson.

Another side who battled back to move into the last four were Cayton Athletic, who beat Goal Sports 6-3.

Goals from Portuguese star Bruno Delgado and man of the match Joel Berry had Goal Sports 2-1 up at the break.

Despite Berry hitting his second after the interval, Athletic sealed their place in the semi-finals courtesy of a hat-trick from player-boss Michael Hernandez and goals from Freddie Schmuck, man of the match Adam Smith and Hanz Carlyle.

Seamer Reserves failed to raise a side for their Trophy clash at West Pier Reserves.

Eastfield Town v Snainton was postponed.