Scarborough Town battle back to earn point at Bridlington Rangers

Jamie Bradshaw
Jamie Bradshaw

Scarborough Town came from a goal behind on two occasions to gain a well-deserved 2-2 draw against Bridlington Sports Club in a feisty Humber Premier League encounter at Hutton Cranswick.

Town were the first to threaten, with Neil Fryirs drawing a full-length save from Brid keeper Steve Janney and Ben Luntley hitting the rebound into the side-netting from a narrow angle.

However it was the home side who drew first blood when Ashley Robinson sprinted through a hesitant Town defence to slam the ball home from 15 yards. Luntley then set up Jamie Bradshaw whose effort was spectacularly tipped over the bar by Janney, but at the other end Dean Douthwaite curled a free-kick which drew a one-handed save from Town’s Rob Clark.

Keeper Clark was soon in action again, sprawling full length to keep out a long-range effort from Robinson.

The home side were maintaining a tremendous work rate which knocked Town out of their usual confident display of possession, and Ben Gregory headed just too high following a corner.

Town’s inability to create chances led to Bradshaw trying his luck from 35 yards but the ball scudded wide of the post.

Brid were looking good value for their lead and Robinson was inches away from connecting with a long cross, but suddenly Town clicked into gear and began to pile pressure on the home defence.

Jon Manson twice broke away on the right wing to get on the end of superb passes from Jamie Patterson, his first cross was headed goalwards by Bradshaw but the keeper saved, and the second was kept out by Janney’s feet at the expense of a corner.

After 44 minutes Patterson played an incisive pass down the left wing, and after some good interchange Bradshaw cut in and hit a cracking strike from 25 yards to level the scores.

Brid had an early effort in the second half which Clark pushed away for a corner, but Janney saved the day for Brid when he rushed from goal to prevent Luntley collecting a through ball, then Fryirs turned neatly to hit a rasping drive which whistled over the crossbar.

The home side however re-established their lead when some neat one-touch passing sent Jay Unlack away and he netted confidently to make the score 2-1.

A determined run from Ricky Nock earned Town a corner which was headed over by Patterson, but the same build-up proved more fruitful on 68 minutes when Nock raced outside his man and crossed for Luntley to tuck the ball away at the near post for the equaliser.

Midfielder Gary Thomas had been forced back into a more defensive role in the first half, but he now found the space to push forwards and support the attack, and took a pot at goal after good work from Bradshaw and Luntley but Janney was well positioned to save.

Town were now getting the upper hand but Brid still looked dangerous on the break and only a great block from Josh Hakings kept the scores level.

Thomas found the space to hit two shots from the edge of the area, both of which were deflected over the top by last-ditch challenges, then another attempt was blocked by Shane Barber and Thomas blasted the rebound inches wide of the post.

Brid’s Ross Parker found himself unmarked at the back post from a long cross but volleyed over, however Town looked more likely to snatch the winner with subtle crosses coming in from Bradshaw and Hakings, but Brid held firm and the final action was a Bradshaw free-kick which was turned away by Janney.

Town: Clark, Nock, Hakings, Pickles (Gill 61), Smart, Patterson, Manson (Clayton 80), G Thomas, Fryirs (Holt 61), Luntley, Bradshaw.