Scarborough Town march into semi-finals with Hessle success

editorial image

SCARBOROUGH Town stormed through to the last four of the Humber Premier League Cup by dominating Hessle United for the full 90 minutes.

Town attacked from the first whistle, with Sean Exley halted by a foul and Neil Fryirs clipping the free-kick narrowly over the bar.

On 10 minutes another free-kick was quickly taken and sent Kris Tate into the area where he calmly found the bottom corner to open the scoring. After a well-worked short corner, Tate took another shot at goal which was palmed away by home keeper Ben Hamilton.

However Town were not to be denied for long, and when Hamilton had problems dealing with a rashly-overhit backpass he was hassled and dispossessed by Ben Luntley who netted number two.

Town’s quick movement caused further panic in the home defence, with Bobby Upson making a decisive clearance at the expense of a corner.

A trademark run down the right wing by Jamie Bradshaw set up a Luntley snapshot which went narrowly wide, then Fryirs burst through two tackles but shot wide.

On 31 minutes a Tate free-kick was headed back across goal by Baz Gill for Fryirs to net, but the referee harshly adjudged Gill to have fouled his marker.

Three minutes later the home team had their first sight of the Town goal but the shot went well wide.

Jamie Patterson was playing his usual dominant role in midfield, and slotted a great pass through to the overlapping Ben Briggs whose curling centre was turned behind for another in a string of corners for the away side.

An incisive ball from Tate allowed Bradshaw a first time shot which went high, and a superb passing move was foiled when Hamilton threw himself in front of Luntley to deny the striker at point-blank range.

The first half ended with the home defence desperately blocking efforts from Luntley and Patterson.

Hessle’s half-time team-talk was shattered within two minutes of the restart, a Fryirs corner being met on the volley by Exley to make it 3-0.

Town were turning on the style but sometimes making one pass too many, whereas a more direct approach almost paid dividends when a Fryirs corner was headed over by Exley and a long throw bounced across the box before Tate volleyed over the top.

Exley then took the ball to the byeline and cut it back for Fryirs whose effort was saved by a full-length dive from Hamilton.

Town’s constant attacking could not be repelled for much longer, and great approach work from Luntley set up Exley to hit a rasping volley into the net for the fourth goal.

Excellent hold-up play from Fryirs allowed Exley a further chance which went narrowly over from a tight angle, and long clearances from Hessle were mopped up by the sterling work of Tony Pickles and Ben Briggs.

Ricky Nock made a great defensive header to deny Hessle a glimpse of goal and the skipper also made a number of determined runs down the wing to add to Town’s attacking threat.

Town made it five on 80 minutes when Exley burst through to the byeline and set up a tap-in for Bradshaw, then Luntley seemed to be clean through but was denied by a great tackle from Brett Cooper.

Town had a couple of chances to add to their total from goalmouth scrambles, whilst at the other end Hessle finally forced two late corners but keeper Rob Clark had little trouble keeping a second successive clean sheet.

Town therefore progress to the semi-final of the League Cup and will meet Premier Division high-fliers and six-times champions Reckitts AFC at the neutral venue of Pocklington Town FC on Wednesday April 4, with a 7.30 kick-off.

l Town: Clark, Nock, Briggs, Gill, Pickles, Patterson, Exley, Tate, Luntley, Fryirs (Collins 65), Bradshaw.