Seamer too strong for Strongwood

Strongwood charge forward in their loss at Seamer     Pictures: Steve Lilly
Strongwood charge forward in their loss at Seamer Pictures: Steve Lilly

Seamer claimed their first-ever top-flight win, Fylingdales won 3-2 at division two leaders Sun Inn and there were three very tight matches in division three in the Scarborough News Sunday League.

Seamer 3 (Hannam, Danby, Clough) Strongwood 1



James Prethero’s Seamer charges opened their league account with a comfortable home division one success against Strongwood.

Chris Hannam opened the scoring after 20 minutes with a chipped effort from 18 yards out.

Ten minutes later Strongwood levelled from the penalty spot after a foul on Martyn Ferrey and there were no further goals before the half-time break.

Seamer went searching for a second goal after the interval, but it was not until the 75th minute that the villagers regained the lead through their inspirational skipper Joe Danby.



The Pickering Town ace, who plays central midfield for Seamer, was also the man of the match for the hosts, who confirmed their win through a thumping 20-yard shot from Darren Clough - who was playing up front after starting the game on the left on midfield.

Clough also had a last-minute goal disallowed for offside but the hosts had done more than enough to seal victory.

Sun Inn 2 (D Pickard, J Wray pen) Fylingdales 3

Second division pacesetters Sun suffered their first defeat of the campaign at home to rivals Fylingdales, despite the latter playing the final 25 minutes with just 10 men.



Dan Pickard put the home side ahead after 15 minutes, poking the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

The visitors replied with a finish from a Tommy Gray, another close-range finish.

The second half saw Fylingdales take the lead with a strike from striker Simon Ford, once again after a scramble in the home goalmouth.

Sun got back on level terms with a penalty-kick from Jamie Wray after a handball, and the hosts looked set to take charge when Fylingdales were reduced to 10 men when Barry Heyes was dismissed for unsporting behaviour - having allegedly spoken out of turn to the match official.



The visitors had other ideas, Ford scoring a superb winning goal, taking the ball past two defenders and slotting his shot past the home keeper.

Wray missed a good chance when one on one with the visiting goalie, while the same player also hit the post with a shot.

Ford was named as the man of the match for Fylingdales, while Sun Inn boss Dave Pickard said: “The defensive four of Tom Allen, Tom Adens, Lee Paterson and Sean Rowley all played really well. We had plenty of chances and really should have won the game - they had three chances and scored all three of them.”

Fylingdales boss John Mallette said: “We did very well to win the game, especially as one of our better players Jake Faichney went off off with a bad head injury and then we had Barry Heyes sent off as well.

“I would have been happy enough with a point, but to get all three was great although we have another tough game at home to Shakespeare next time.

Castle 1 Whitby Wanderers 2 (L Brennan, S Taylor)



Whitby Wanderers continued their 100 per cent start to the season with this away win against Castle.

Lee Brennan opened the scoring for division three leaders Wanderers with a fine shot from the edge of the box.

Simon Taylor made it 2-0 with a lob, and the visitors earned a deserved goal with the last kick of the match.

Man of the match for Wanderers was Ste Hunter, the centre-back winning every single challenge and header in this keenly-contested clash.

Commercial 4 (Carter, Fowler, Clark, own goal) Filey Flyers Reserves 4 (J Keable, Pinder, J Hunter, Whitelaw)

A last-gasp own goal secured a share of spoils for the hosts against the impressive young Flyers outfit.

Howard Carter marked his debut with a seventh-minute strike to put Geoff Osguthorpe’s home side in front, but 21 minutes later Jonny Keable made it 1-1.

Two minutes into the second half, Commercial regained the lead - against the run of play - thanks to Jamie Fowler’s scuffed shot.

James Pinder’s lob levelled the scores again and Flyers started to step up a gear, taking a 3-2 lead thanks to Jonny Hunter’s free-kick and it was soon four when Jamie Whitelaw netted.

Three minutes from time, Commercial grabbed a lifeline when Mike Clark broke free of his marker in the penalty area and fired home.

Clark then turned creator for the fourth and final goal, his corner causing havoc in the Flyers defence, one of the visitors deflecting the ball into the net.

Keeper Ash Buck and left-side midfielder Clark were singled out as the top home players by their boss Osguthorpe, while Max Gage was man of the match for Flyers.

Alma 1 (Fishburn) Scarborough Sports 2 (M Brennan, A Bryant)

Scarborough Sports gained their first win of the season in a hard-fought match against Alma.

The visitors opened the scoring after 20 minutes, Luke Johnson tapping a free-kick back to Mike Brennan, who fired in a low shot into the bottom left corner of the net.

Mike Fishburn used his strength to shake off several Sports challenges and then slammed home an equaliser for Alma before the half-time break.

Both sides had several chances to take the lead in the second half, but it was Tony Walker’s side who earned the win 10 minutes from time when Johnson set up Aaron Bryant, turned well and shot past the Alma keeper.

Johnson and central midfielder Sam Mahoney shone for Sports.