Soba see off Wasps challenge

Westover Res v FC Soba.'121341e. Picture Kevin Allen.'28/03/12
Westover Res v FC Soba.'121341e. Picture Kevin Allen.'28/03/12

FC SOBA did their division three promotion bid no harm with a 2-0 win against Westover Wasps Reserves at Oliver’s Mount last night.

Mike Keld’s men, enjoying a superb first season in the Scarborough & District Leagues, saw off a vastly improved Westover side.

Westover Res v FC Soba.'121341c. Picture Kevin Allen.'28/03/12

Westover Res v FC Soba.'121341c. Picture Kevin Allen.'28/03/12

Soba took the lead after 20 minutes when the prolific Tez Breckon found the back of the net.

The promotion hopefuls had to wait until the 70th minute to double their lead though.

Liam Vasey was the man who notched for the victors.

Vasey had an excellent chance to extend Soba’s lead and double his tally when he won a penalty and stepped up to take it himself.

But he spurned the opportunity and Soba had to settle for a 2-0 victory.

Centre-back Zac Poole was named man of the match for a commanding effort at the heart of the defence, while Adam North, Charles Battye and Ben Mason all stood out as a defensive unit.

Shane Hare was sent off for Wasps after he was shown two yellow cards.

Man of the match Poole said: “The defence was solid and everyone put a shift in.

“Kyle May also worked hard in midfield for us.

“We just need to win our last four games now and we should be up.”

In the race to go into the top flight from division two, Whitby Fishermen’s Society boosted their bid to achieve successive promotions with a 3-1 win at FC Rosette, despite putting in a lacklustre performance on the night.

Mark Storr’s men went 1-0 up after 10 minutes when top scorer James Armstrong tapped in.

Their lead was doubled when winger Sam Bailey got on the end of a Connor Goldsmith cross and looped a neat finish over the Rosette keeper after 25 minutes.

The game was killed off with just 35 minutes on the clock when the Whitby outfit made it 3-0.

Goldsmith got himself on the scoresheet with the goal of the game, beating a couple of challenges and then smashing into the top corner.

Rosette netted a late penalty and had chances in the second half, but stand-in keeper Paul Cull made a handful of decent stops for his side.