Strongwood bounce back to stun Seamer

editorial image

Strongwood recovered from last week’s mauling by Trafalgar to beat Seamer in division one, while Traf beat West Pier to extend their lead at the top of the table.

STRONGWOOD 5 (Purvis 3, Walker, Ferrey) SEAMER 4 (Jones 3, McCallion)

Strongwood bounced back from last week’s division one thumping by Trafalgar in fine style as they won a nine-goal thriller against Seamer.

Luke Jones gave the away side a fifth-minute advantage, but two close-range finishes from Luke Purvis put Strongwood 2-1 up.

Aidan McCallion levelled things up before the break but Sam Walker’s persistence saw the hosts back in front early in the second period.

Jones then added another two goals to put Seamer in the driving seat at 4-3, but with just 10 minutes remaining Martyn Ferrey netted to tie the scores.

With the game looking set to end in a draw, Purvis cut in from the left wing and slotted home an 88th minute winner for Strongwood.

Right-back Tom Fennell starred for the victors and player-boss James Prethero impressed in goal for Seamer despite conceding five goals.

TRAFALGAR 3 (Dodson, Thomas, L Salt) WEST PIER 0

Traf kept their title bid on track with a home success over last year’s champions West Pier.

Shaun Dodson’s long-range effort picked out the top corner of the Pier net for 1-0 and things got worse for Paddy Parke’s troops before the break when Neil Thomas registered against his former side to double the hosts’ advantage.

Player-manager Liam Salt added a third in the closing stages to seal the points for the league leaders.

ITIS-ITIS 4 (Wood, Chambers, Watson, L Outhart) SUN INN 2 (J Wray 2)

Two goals in the last 10 minutes helped itis-itis to a battling win over Sun Inn in division two.

Gav Wood had the home side ahead but his strike was cancelled out before half-time when Sun’s Jamie Wray broke clear and finished calmly.

Luke Chambers restored Matty Hobson’s side’s lead but Wray was again on target to make it 2-2.

JP Watson and Lee Outhart both got their names on the scoresheet late on as itis-itis claimed maximum points.


An Alec Coulson double and a sweet strike from Drew McCoubrey set Traf Reserves on their way to a 4-0 success over West Pier Reserves.

McCoubrey dispatched a stunning half-volley past the visiting keeper for the only goal of a close first half.

Pier had their chances to draw level after the interval but were let down by some poor finishing.

Traf made them pay when they netted three times in the final seven minutes, Coulson notching a quick-fire brace before Kyle May took the score to 4-0.

Darryl Temple was on top form for Pier.

ALMA 3 (Clothier 3) FILEY FLYERS RESERVES 4 (J Gage, M Dickens, Sheldon, Keeble)

Filey Reserves came from three goals down to sink Alma in their division three battle.

Phil Clothier scored a first-half hat-trick to put the home side in control at the interval but goals from Joe Gage, Matty Dickens and Scott Sheldon drew Flyers back level after the break.

With just three minutes to go, Mikey Hunter crossed for Jonny Keeble who slid in to register a dramatic late winner for the Filey side.

Alma boss James Braithwaite said: “It was so disappointing to lose so late on after being 3-0 up, I think we deserved a draw out of the game.

“We’ve improved so much over the course of the season, we just can’t seem to get over the line at the moment.

“Filey are a top side though, and my players deserve a lot of credit for pushing them all the way.”


Cayton eased to a 3-0 victory at Scarborough Sports to keep their promotion push on course.

Luke Gosling’s attempted cross was blown into the Sports net to give Corinthians an early lead and Jon Best doubled his side’s advantage from the penalty spot.

Jake McAleese made it 3-0 when he put the finishing touch to a good team move.

Left-back Josh Venner was Corinthians’ man of the match.


Two first-half goals from Mike Clark and Rob Ward were enough for Commercial to pick up a 2-0 win on the road at West Riding Reserves.

Commercial boss Geoff Osguthorpe said: “We produced another good performance and it was nice to end the season with three wins on the trot.

“Our man of the match was young Luke Foster, with Macaulay Youngson also impressing.

“A special mention goes to Stu Lincoln who played his last game for us as he is retiring from football because he has a young family.

“He was a member of the first ever Commercial team several years ago and has been a great player for us and will be missed.”