Sunday cup round-up: Traf march on, Pier bow out

editorial image

Trafalgar bounced back from last week’s cup defeat against Newlands with a home victory against Middlebeck in the last 16 of the North Riding FA Sunday Challenge Cup, while West Pier suffered late agony in their game at The Globe, Guisborough, conceding goals in the final three minutes to lose out 3-2.

North Riding FA Sunday Challenge Cup

Trafalgar 6 (Heggarty 2, Pinder 2, Barber, A Coulson) Middlebeck 3

Liam Salt’s Trafalgar side recovered from their Kenward Cup reverse against Newlands with a North Riding success against visitors Middlebeck.

Nick Hegarty started the ball rolling for the home side with a first-half double, but the Langbaurgh League division one side pulled a goal back to keep Traf on their toes.

Mark Barber restored the hosts’ two-goal lead, but the visitors struck twice before half-time to bring the scores level.

Rob Pinder came on as a sub at the start of the second half, the ex-Staxton striker marking his debut with a goal to put the home side 4-3 in front.

Forward Alec Coulson continued his superb form with a header to give Traf some breathing space, while Pinder’s second wrapped up the home side’s quarter-final spot.

The man of the match award was shared between Coulson and centre-back Danny White.

The Globe 3 West Pier 2 (D Cooper, Bell)

Two last-gasp goals from Guisborough-based Globe saw an injury-ravaged Pier crash to an agonising defeat after being on the verge of booking a spot in the quarter-finals.

The Langbaurgh League outfit took the lead, but Pier got back on level terms thanks to a Danny Cooper striker. By this point Pier had already lost Andy Sheader to an ankle injury, and on the stroke of half-time Cooper and Dan Baldry both had to leave the field due to knocks.

Despite having to re-shuffle his side, Pier boss Paddy Parke was delighted to see striker Dave Bell fire an unstoppable 20-yard low drive past the home keeper.

The visitors looked to be going into the hat for the next round, but in the 89th minute the referee adjudged Luke Midgley to have given a back-pass to keeper Scott Wardman, though Pier did protest that it was accidental. Pier were punished for this as Globe levelled from the resulting free-kick.

Two minutes into injury-time the home side snatched victory in a dramatic finale.

Parke was quick to hail the performances of Bell, centre-back Mark Tucker and midfielder Daz Crawford.

Kenward Cup

Filey Flyers Reserves 0 Klosters 3 (M Vasey 2, Fryirs)

Top-flight Klosters saw off a determined effort from third division promotion-chasers Flyers Reserves in this Kenward Cup clash.

Mark Vasey headed in from under the crossbar after five minutes, Neil Fryirs supplying the cross from the left flank.

The visitors made it 2-0 five minutes into the second half, Ryan McClements playing in Mark Vasey, who turned his man and fired in his second.

With about 20 minutes to go, Fryirs got on the end of a McClements through ball, rounded the Flyers keeper and finished from a tight angle to mark his 100th appearance for the club with a goal.

Klosters boss Rhys Howell said: “McClements was man of the match, he had two assists and ran the game from central midfield. Ashley Townley also put in a tireless display alongside him in the middle of midfield.”

Flyers chief Dave Brannan Jnr added: “We didn’t play too badly but we could not contend with them, you could tell they had played together for a few years.”