Sunday football reports: Bradshaw treble fires Pier to cup victory

editorial image

Jamie Bradshaw’s hat-trick steered West Pier to a 4-1 home win against Strongwood in the Senior Cup semi-final, while Newlands had a great day, their first team winning 5-2 at Seamer in the Kenward Cup semi-finals and their reserves beating third division leaders Whitby Wanderers to net a spot in the McCain Cup final against Cayton - who beat Ayton 4-1.

Senior Cup semi-final, West Pier 4 (Bradshaw 3, Wood) Strongwood 1 (Hall)

131350c'Traf Reserves(Blue) v West Riding'Picture by Neil Silk'31/03/13

131350c'Traf Reserves(Blue) v West Riding'Picture by Neil Silk'31/03/13

A Jamie Bradshaw hat-trick steered Pier to victory in this Senior Cup semi-final, but this win may be enough for Paddy Parke and Jamie Towse’s side to claim the silverware.

Traf beat Newlands in the other semi-final earlier this month, but the victors have been withdrawn from the competition for fielding an ineligible player leaving Newlands as the team that would have usually have progressed to the final, but they have been hit by a North Riding FA misconduct charge so they could also be ruled out of the final. Both sides are appealing against the decisions so Pier will have to wait and see the outcome of both issues.

The opening goal in this semi-final was a thumping 30-yard shot from Eric Hall which gave Strongwood the early advantage.

On the half-hour, Pier levelled thanks to a fine shot from Bradshaw and a free-kick by the latter five minutes later set up Travis Wood to head Pier in front for the first time.

131350b'Traf Reserves(Blue) v West Riding'Picture by Neil Silk'31/03/13

131350b'Traf Reserves(Blue) v West Riding'Picture by Neil Silk'31/03/13

Five minutes later Bradshaw fired in after superb approach play from central midfielders Dan Baldry and Dan Jones, and the striker completed his hat-trick on the stroke of half-time with a low shot to secure their victory.

The home side had several chances to extend their lead in the second half, but the damage had been done in the first half.

Baldry was named as man of the match, but his fellow central midfielders Jones and Gary Thomas also excelled, as did centre-half Tom Hicken and Bradshaw.

Defender Nathan Till impressed for a below-strength Strongwood side.

Kenward Cup semi-final, Seamer 2 (Danby, Clough) Newlands 5 (Delve 2, Luntley pen, R Cooper)

Newlands stormed into the final of the Kenward Cup, where they will face Klosters, thanks to this win at 10-man Seamer.

The hosts started the game with one player less due to a combination of suspensions, injury and players letting manager James Prethero down.

Striker Luke Delve opened the scoring for the visitors with a neat finish and Jack Hakings soon made it 2-0, but Joe Danby beat the offside trap to pull a goal back for the home side.

Ben Luntley hammered in a third goal for Newlands from the penalty spot, and a Delve header just before half-time put the visitors in charge.

Ryan Cooper slotted in a fifth to confirm Newlands’ spot in the final, but the 10 men of Seamer refused to submit and Darren Clough’s forceful run a nd shot saw Prethero’s troops pull a goal back.

The Seamer boss praised all 10 players for their efforts in the cup-tie, but rued the fact that players let him down, failing to turn up for such a big game.

Newlands manager Joe Hakings said: “Our man of the match was Luke Delve who led the line superbly up front and netted two goals, returning to top form after a bit of a tricky spell.”

McCain Cup semi-finals, Newlands Reserves 3 (Rose, Clark, Mackenzie-Fenwick) Whitby Wanderers 2 (Wilson pen, Ross) aet

Duncan McDermott’s Newlands second string battled back from 2-1 down to claim a dramatic extra-time win against third division leaders Wanderers to earn a place in the McCain Cup final.

Curtis Rose’s curling low finish from the edge of the box sent Newlands into the lead early on, but the visitors rallied and levelled through a Ste Ross finish from Jack Wilson’s cross.

Left-winger Wilson then put the Whitby side in front with a penalty in the 20th minute after he had been fouled by Jamie Heritage. The home team refused to submit and they levelled the scores just before half-time with a Tom Clark header from a corner.

Neither side managed to break through in the second half, although Ross had a one-on-one in the final minute of normal time which was saved superbly by the home keeper, so the game went into extra-time and the first 15 minutes of this also ended goalless and the penalty shoot-out looked likely to be the only way to split the two teams.

Tom Mackenzie-Fenwick had other ideas though, and his fine header from Dean Andrews’ left-wing cross sent the home side into the final.

McDermott said: “I am very proud of all the lads as they were superb against the leaders of division three. Our captain Dan Sheader, who plays at right-back, was the man of the match, he was everywhere and never stopped working.”

Cayton 4 (Holden 2, Collins, Rennison) Ayton 1 (Stubbings)

Third division title-chasers Cayton booked their place in the final with a hard-earned home win against second division Ayton.

The visitors, who had a weakened team, opened the scoring after only 20 minutes through Tyson Stubbings, taking advantage of playing with a strong wind at their backs and playing downhill.

Mark Plumpton’s Ayton side were dealt a major blow when the influential Mark Dove injured his ankle on the half-hour mark and was unable to continue.

The home side had plenty of possession in the first half, with strikers Mikey Dennis and Harry Holden both going close to levelling the scores

Sam Wallace had a chance to put the away team 2-0 ahead early in the second half and hit the post after Niall Prentice had stormed through the Cayton defence from midfield and squared the ball to Wallace.

This seemed to spark Cayton into life, as John Best’s team took the game by the scruff of the neck. Holden equalised on the hour mark, bringing the ball down well and firing low past the Ayton keeper from 10 yards.

Five minutes later Holden netted his second, slotting home after a Best corner.

A cracking shot from Danny Collins and a towering header from Shaun Rennison secured the win for Cayton.

Division two, West Riding 2 (Reddy, Ellis) Trafalgar Reserves 5 (A Coulson 3, J Pinder, Shaw)

An Alec Coulson hat-trick fired Traf into second spot in division two, after this victory at fellow high-flyers West Riding.

Paul Reddy put the hosts in front, but Coulson levelled with a close-range finish, though Riding restored their lead through Nick Ellis.

After a stern half-time talk from boss Joel Ramm, Traf took charge, Jack Pinder levelling with a neat strike and Wayne Shaw then putting Traf in front.

Coulson then struck two more goals to cap his treble, his third a cracking strike from the edge of the penalty area.

Neil Thomas was Traf man of the match while Chris Dove was on top form in goal for the victors, while Matt Whitehall was star man for Riding.

Fylingdales 5 (Jake Faichney 2, M Waterfield, Chandler, Forde pen) West Pier Reserves 0

Fylingdales maintained their promotion challenge with a comfortable home win against a depleted Pier side.

Pier boss Mark Tucker had to include a 50-year-old and a couple of other veterans to field a full side, with his problems deepening in the second half when his keeper picked up an injury and could not move out of his goal.

The home side opened the scoring with a cracking low shot from Mark Waterfield and a Simon Forde penalty doubled the villagers’ lead.

Jake Faichney made it 3-0 with a cool finish just before half-time, and after the break the in-form Paddy Chandler smashed in a fourth goal.

Faichney completed his brace to make it 5-0 and keep Fylingdales in with a shout in the battle for promotion to the top flight.

Fylingdales boss Neil Brearley said: “I would like to thank Pier for turning up and getting together a team to ensure the game was played. Considering the older players they had to field and the keeper’s injury it was a great effort from them.”