Sunday League: Collins smashes seven in Cayton win

Mike Grayshan congratulates Tyson Stubbings after he opened the scoring for Ayton in their 7-0 win at home to Barrowcliff Reserves. Picture: Steve Lilly
Mike Grayshan congratulates Tyson Stubbings after he opened the scoring for Ayton in their 7-0 win at home to Barrowcliff Reserves. Picture: Steve Lilly

Danny Collins was the star man as he smashed in a magnificent seven goals for Cayton as they romped to a 10-0 win against Crown Tavern in Division Two.

Man of the match Collins helped himself to seven of Cayton's 10 as they cruised to maximum points against Tavern in their Division Two encounter.

The home side's other three goals came courtesy of a Brad Marshall hat-trick.

In addition to Collins, keeper Corey Towell's trio of late stops and the 90 minutes of graft from Scott Davison stood out for the victors.

Elsewhere in Division Two, Ayton cruised to a 7-0 win against rock-bottom Barrowcliff Reserves.

Mark Plumpton's side led 3-0 at the break.

Tyson Stubbings grabbed their opener after rounding the keeper and netting 10 minutes in.

Their lead was double 10 minutes later when Mike Grayshan's free-kick was diverted past his own keeper by an unfortunate Barrowcliff player.

The final goal of the first half came when Niall Prentice fed a precise ball through for Ben Mason to find the back of the net.

Their momentum carried on after the break and substitute Rob Ward made it 4-0 before debutant Dempsey Stubbings' stunning volley off the underside of the bar put them 5-0 up.

Brad Parkin's neat finish after superb hold-up play from target man Grayshan made it 6-0 before Ward's second strike rounded off the scoring.

Plumpton singled out 18-year-old Dempsey Stubbings and full-back Parkin as his side's star men.

Trafalgar Reserves' home clash against Scarborough Campus was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Commercial boosted their chances of avoiding relegation from Division One with a superb 3-1 win at third-place Heslerton.

Geoff Osguthorpe's Commercial were forced to drag a number of players in for the clash, but they managed to put in a superb team performance to collect a shock win.

The away side were 1-0 up at half-time, Luke Chambers netting the only goal of the first half after chipping the Heslerton keeper.

The hosts levelled matters up at the break and enjoyed a spell of dominance, but Commercial weathered the storm resolutely and bagged a second on the counter-attack.

Macauley Youngson's superb pass found teenage striker Lewis Hird, who showed great composure to fire his side back in front.

The points were put beyond any doubt when Hird cut inside his marker and finished well to round things off at 3-1.

Boss Osguthorpe, who had to play 90 minutes in midfield for the victors, was full of praise for his patched up side.

He said: "I couldn't be happier with the performance from the lads. We didn't have a keeper until just before the game and Matt Moorhouse came out and did a fantastic job for us.

"47-year-old Chris Rooke did superbly at right-back and new signing Rhys Howell was solid at centre-back.

"Lewis can't play all the time, but he makes a real difference when he turns out for us and he took his goals well."

West Pier were comfortable 4-1 winners on the road at Fylingdales.

Paddy Parke's side dominated the first half but only managed to take one of their chances and found themselves going in at the break level at 1-1, Martin Cooper's strike being cancelled out by the hosts.

The away side were more clinical after the break though and Cameron Dobson made it 2-1 before Cooper's second made the points safe at 3-1.

Rob Speight rounded off the scoring at 4-1 to Parke's Pier.

Parke said: "We deserved to win the game, we missed a lot of chances.

"The pitch cut up a lot and if we'd have played on a firmer surface I think we'd have bagged a few more goals. It was a good game though."

Newlands were left frustrated after their opponents Itis Itis United failed to raise a side for their fixture.

Roscoes Bar booked their place in the semi-finals of the Goal Sports Trophy after battling to a 4-2 win against Newlands Reserves.

Newlands took the lead early on when Eric Hall's effort from the edge of the box cannoned in off the post.

Carl Hepples' free-kick levelled the scores and Roscoes led at the break after Matty Rowley fired an unstoppable 30-yard-effort into the top corner to make it 2-1.

As he did at the start of the first half, Hall bagged right at the start of the second as well after profiting from a defensive mix-up and hammering in a powerful effort.

The 10-men of Newlands soon became nine when Luke Rainton was sent for an early bath for violent conduct.

Despite Newlands managing to get another player onto the pitch to make their numbers back up to 10, Roscoes managed to sneak over the line and book their spot in the last four.

Rowley's deflected effort beat the Newlands keeper for 3-2 before Graeme Farrah wrapped up the win with a neat finish at the back post after a superb ball into the box.

Roscoes boss Lee Paterson said: "Conditions were tough and the pitch was very boggy. Jack Worthy stood out for us at the back."

The final quarter-final between First In Last Out and Fylingdales Reserves was called off, leaving semi-finalists Roscoes Bar, Trafalgar Reserves and Cayton still awaiting the winner in the last four.