Sunday League: Commercial stun Riding to progress in Kenward Cup

Roscoes Bar v Hull Uni. Pictures: Steve Lilly
Roscoes Bar v Hull Uni. Pictures: Steve Lilly

Geoff Osguthorpe’s Commercial side inflicted West Riding’s first defeat of the season and made progress in the Kenward Cup as a result.

Riding led after Jack South’s cross was converted by Josh Young, but Mike Clark levelled for Commercial.

James Prethero’s Riding led yet again when Luke Jones’ 20-yard free-kick flew in and the home side led 2-1 at the break.

Riding had to play the second half with 10 men after one of their players had to leave the pitch and Commercial took full advantage.

Veteran full-back Chris Rooke, filling in for Commercial, netted another equaliser for the away side after a corner wasn’t cleared properly.

Chris Stubbings handed Commercial the lead for the first time in the game before Nick Palmer made it 4-2 and gave the away side some breathing space.

Stubbings grabbed his second to round the scoring off at 5-2, and a delighted Osguthorpe said: “We played really well, and we needed the win. It has been a while.

“We did well as a unit, especially in the second half when they went down to 10 men.”

Osguthorpe picked out 44-year-old Rooke and Stubbings as his side’s star men.

Prethero said: “It’s difficult to take. I suppose I’d forgotten what it felt like to lose.”

Cameron Dobson put in a five-star performance to fire West Pier into the next round after a 9-1 win against Alma.

Pier, who started with 10 men and then played the last 20 minutes with just eight men, eased past their division two opponents.

Dobson bagged five goals, while Chris Weetman netted a hat-trick and Dan Bradbury grabbed Pier’s other goal.

Boss Paddy Parke singled out Bradbury, Weetman and Luke Midgley before praising Alma: “Fair play to Alma, they grafted for 90 minutes. They’re definitely a committed bunch.”

Trafalgar moved into the quarter-finals with a comfortable 9-3 win at home to Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff.

Braces from Rob Pinder, Dean Craig and Neil Thomas and goals from Gary Thomas and Ali Caw saw the division one champions home.

Stand-in gaffer Col Jenkinson singled out Danny White and Dean Macauley as his side’s star men.

Jenkinson said: “Credit to them, they worked hard but we were always on top as expected.”

Newlands are also into the quarter-finals after a 4-2 win against Itis Itis.

Man of the match Niall Gibb grabbed two goals, with strikes from player-boss Ryan Cooper and Stew Bates rounding off the scoring and sealing Newlands’ spot in the last eight despite two goals from Itis Itis man Elliott Spurr, one a thunderbolt from 40-yards.

Ayton beat Heslerton 2-0 to set up a last eight clash with Trafalgar.

Mark Plumpton’s men led 1-0 at the break after good work from Sam Whitehead and Kieran Friett fed Tyson Stubbings to fire in.

Ayton’s second came on the hour-mark as Friett turned goalscorer with a 25-yard screamer.

The away side could have furthered their lead, but James Webb had a goal disallowed and also hit the woodwork.

Plumpton singled out Stubbings and Webb for their graft from the front.

Four goals in 15 minutes set up Roscoes Bar for an 8-1 win at home to Hull Uni.

Doubles from Matty Rowley, Gary Hepples, Graeme Farrah and player-boss Lee Paterson as well as a goal from man of the match Tom Allen set Roscoes on their way to the last eight.

Paterson said: “Everyone was brilliant and we were only just denied a clean sheet by a great strike when 8-0 up with a few minutes to go.”

In the only game played in division one, Whitby Wanderers stunned a lacklustre Klosters and collected a 5-2 win.

Two Simon Taylor strikes and a Jack Wilson penalty handed Mark Jackson’s side a 3-0 lead at the break.

Ashley Townley gave Rhys Howell’s men some hope as he made it 3-1, but moments later Wanderers restored their three-goal advantage as Adam Kirby tapped in.

Klosters centre-back Lee Luntley’s free-kick flew past everyone in the box and straight into the net for 4-2, but with the away side on the front foot, Wanderers broke and with the keeper off his line Taylor found the net from distance to round-off his hat-trick and a 5-2 success for the home side.

Carl Townley was sent for an early bath after receiving a second yellow card for an act of petulance off the ball.

Jackson picked out Taylor and keeper Dave Fish as his side’s star men.

A Jon Hodgson hat-trick fired Cayton to a 6-1 win at Scarborough Sports Spa in division two.

Jake McAleese opened the scoring, while an own goal and a debut goal for Jonathan Read rounded things off for John Best’s team.

Fylingdales Reserves’ home game against Newlands Reserves was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.