Sunday League: Cup round-up - Trafalgar and Fylingdales seal penalty success

Sunday League round-up by Daniel Gregory
Sunday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

Trafalgar will meet Klosters and Fylingdales are set to tackle Filey Flyers in the last four of the Senior Cup after winning their respective quarter-finals.


Trafalgar 1 (N Thomas) Newlands 1 (Hakings) Trafalgar won 5-4 on penalties

Trafalgar held their nerve from the penalty spot to edge past rivals Newlands and make it into the last four of the Senior Cup.

A tight first half ensued, with neither side able to break the deadlock, Trafalgar’s Sean Exley hitting the post.

The away side took the lead when powerful midfielder Jack Hakings headed in from a corner.

Liam Salt’s men continued to try and find a way through the stubborn Newlands defence, and they had success with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Neil Thomas collected the ball out wide before cutting inside and letting fly with a left-footed strike that flew in.

Neither side could add to their tally and the game went straight to a penalty shoot-out.

Despite Billy Logan missing his penalty for Traf, Shaun Dodson, Thomas, Exley, Joel Ramm and Wayne Aziz all successfully converted their penalties.

Jason Harrison, Stefan Moon, Kile Fields and Drew McCoubrey all netted their penalties for Newlands, but missed efforts from Hakings and Jordan Mintoft saw Traf egde it 5-4 and set-up a semi-final clash with Klosters.

Boss Salt picked out left-back Gary Jordan and keeper James Burrows, who saved both Newlands’ missed spot-kicks, as his side’s star men.

Moon was the pick of the Newlands players.

Tennyson 3 Fylingdales 3 (Forde 2, Heyes) Fylingdales won 4-2 on penalties

Another side who made it into the last four via a penalty shoot-out success was Fylingdales, who edged past Tennyson.

Fylingdales dominated the first half and took the lead through Si Forde.

Their lead was doubled when a storming run and through-ball from left-back Tommy Gray found Barry Heyes, who made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

Their lead was halved heading into the interval after Tennyson forced home after a scramble following a corner.

The home side started the stronger in the second half and levelled matters up before going ahead with just 10 minutes left on the clock.

Dales rolled the dice and lobbed defender Jake Faichney up front and the former Whitby Town man beat the offside trap before finding Forde with a pinpoint cross that Forde netted for his second, taking the game to a penalty shoot-out.

Successful kicks from Faichney, Mark Waterfield, Lewis Peel and Lee Brennan, combined with two saved kicks from Dales keeper Jamie Wassall, handed the away side the 4-2 win.

Two-goal hero Forde, left-back Gray and penalty hero Wassall all stood out for Fylingdales, who meet Filey Flyers in the semi-finals.

Cayton 3 (Till, Venner, McAleese) Klosters 4 (Garnett, Scales, Rose, C Townley)

Klosters scraped into the semi-finals after withstanding a second-half fight back to see off Cayton Corinthians by a 4-3 scoreline.

The visitors were on top in the first half and a goalkeeping error gifted Sam Garnett the opener after 15 minutes.

Tom Scales added a second for Klosters 10 minutes before the break when he got on the end of an Ash Townley through-ball and finished neatly.

Georgie Rose made it 3-0 shortly after half-time, but Nathan Till lobbed home to give Cayton hope mid-way through the second period.

Carl Townley’s sliced effort from the edge of the box restored Klosters’ three-goal cushion almost immediately and although some slack defending allowed Josh Venner and then substitute Jake McAleese to net for the hosts in the closing stages, the away side managed to cling on.

Carl Townley was man of the match for the victors, while Till and veteran midfielder Daz Stabler impressed for Cayton.

Itis Itis 1 Filey Flyers 4 (Pinder 2, Keeble, Sugden)

The last four of the Senior Cup was completed by Dave Brannan Jnr’s Filey Flyers side, who comfortably beat Itis Itis 4-1 to set up their semi-final clash with Fylingdales.

Jonny Keeble gave Flyers the lead after 15 minutes from 10 yards, before Liam Sugden’s deflected effort gave them a 2-0 half-time lead.

A James Pinder strike made it 3-0 after the break, and despite Itis Itis making it 3-1 and giving themselves some hope, Pinder netted his second and Flyers’ fourth to seal their win.

Boss Brannan Jnr picked out striker Joe Gage as his side’s man of match for his work-rate.


Commercial 2 (Barron, Mattla) West Pier Reserves 5 (Stockell 2, Weetman 2, Ryan)

West Pier Reserves set-up a final date against Trafalgar Reserves with a 5-2 win against in-form Commercial.

Pier were the quicker side out of the traps and took a deserved lead when Jon Stockell’s long free-kick evaded everyone and nestled in the back of the net.

Commercial levelled matters up through Oli Barron, who broke from midfield to fire in.

Geoff Osguthorpe’s men then took the lead when Stockell gifted possession to Commercial, who sent the ball out wide before an accurate cross found the head of Polish midfielder Matt Mattla, who headed in.

The game-turning moment came shortly afterwards though, as Pier’s Chris Weetman was brought down by Joe Bayes, who was sent off for his last-ditch challenge as he was the last Commercial man.

Stockell fired in the free-kick and the momentum had swung yet again in the direction of Andy Goodwin’s West Pier Reserves side.

Two goals in five minutes from Weetman put Pier firmly in control of the clash, heading into half-time 4-2 up.

They furthered their lead after the break when Luke Midgley’s corner somehow found its way through to Chris Ryan, who tapped in.

Goodwin paid tribute to Commercial, who kept battling throughout the second half, despite their deficit in both scoreline and numbers.

Pier boss Goodwin praised his entire side for their performance.

Commercial boss Osguthorpe was left frustrated at Bayes’ red card. He said: “It’s very frustrating as nine out of 10 referees in these leagues wouldn’t have sent Joe off for that.”

Trafalgar Reserves 9 (Pinder 4, A Wray 2, O’Toole, J Wray, OG) Tennyson Reserves 0

A polished Trafalgar Reserves performance saw them ease to a 9-0 win against Tennyson Reserves and place in the Goalsports Trophy final against West Pier Reserves.

Traf started cautiously, keeping hold of possession and working their way into the cup tie.

Leading 2-0 at the break, Traf opened up Tennyson after the break after they were reduced to 10 men after one of their players suffered an injury and had to go off, with no substitutes to replace him.

Traf netted a further seven after the break to confirm their place in the final.

Jack Pinder was in fine form, netting four times, while Al Wray bagged a brace.

Al’s brother Jamie was also on the scoresheet, while Kyle O’Toole also grabbed a goal, with an own goal rounding off their scoresheet,

Noon was full of praise for his side afterwards. He said: “Everyone was fantastic.
“It was a great team effort, our best performance of the season.”