Sunday League: Filey strike late to edge past Cayton

Sunday League round-up
Sunday League round-up

A last-ditch comeback from Filey Flyers handed them a 4-3 win at Cayton, while there were also quarter-final wins for Klosters, Trafalgar and West Pier.


CAYTON CORINTHIANS 3 (Venner 2, Davison) FILEY FLYERS 4 (Pinder, Brannan Jnr, Gage, Sugden)

A late Liam Sugden header handed Filey a spot in the last four of the Sunday Cup.

James Pinder and Dave Brannan Jnr netted to put Filey 2-0 up.

The home side battled back as Josh Venner bagged a double and Scott Davison registered to take Cayton in 3-2 up at the break.

With just eight minutes left on the clock Joe Gage netted to level matters up at 3-3.

It was Filey who took the spot in the last four though as Pinder’s corner was headed into the top corner by Sugden.

Benjamin Briggs was Filey’s man of the match.

KLOSTERS 6 (Scales 3, Wardell, L Vasey, Turner) COMMERCIAL 2 (Barker)

Tom Scales netted a second-half hat-trick as Klosters got the better of a hard-working Commercial side by a 6-2 score line.

After an even opening 20 minutes, Andy Wardell got forward from right-back to clip a measured effort in off the bar from 25 yards out.

Liam Vasey doubled Klosters’ lead from the penalty spot before Commercial pulled a goal back just before the break.

Scales struck early in the second period to restore the home side’s two-goal cushion before turning provider for his strike partner Matty Turner who tapped in at the back post.

Turner returned the favour to play in Scales to make it 5-1 before the lively Mikey Barker lobbed home a well-deserved goal from an acute angle to reduce the arrears.

Scales completed his hat-trick late on after a neat through ball from Vasey to round off the scoring.

Klosters’ strike duo of Scales and Turner shared the man of the match award with left-back Craig Garton also impressing.

TRAFALGAR 5 (Pinder 3, White, Thomas) ANGEL 0

Rob Pinder smashed in a hat-trick for Liam Salt’s Trafalgar to hand them a spot in the semi-finals of the Sunday Cup.

Pinder was joined on the scoresheet by Neil Thomas and man of the match Danny White as Salt’s men marched into the last four.


Paddy Parke’s West Pier are the fourth side into the semi-final draw after they overcame a hard working Ayton side 6-0.


FYLINGDALES 8 (Faichney 3, Forde 2, Waterfield, Heyes, Agar) ROSCOE’S BAR 1 (Scott)

Fylingdales ran riot at home to Roscoe’s Bar as Jake Faichney smashed in a hat-trick.

In addition to Faichney, Si Forde was also in form as he bagged a brace, while there were also goals for Barry Heyes, Jamie Agar and Mark Waterfield scored a stunning strike from distance.

Arran Scott netted Roscoe’s solitary goal.

ITIS ITIS 3 (Laing, Pickering, Oldroyd) TENNYSON 2 (Link, OG)

Matty Hobson’s Itis Itis side battled to a 3-2 win against Tennyson.

Both sides were down to the bare bones with several players missing, and Billy Johnson’s Tennyson side took the lead through Kiearan Link.

Hobson’s men fought back though and after Mikey Pickering’s volley levelled matters up, Mark Oldroyd’s effort on goal was deflected in to give Itis Itis the lead.

Tennyson were level again though as Paul Flack scored an unfortunate own goal to send the sides in level at the break.

Itis Itis weren’t to be denied though and Ian Laing netted after 70 minutes to hand Hobson’s men the win.



Dave Gaddass’ Newlands Reserves side lost out 5-3 at Whitby Wanderers.

Whitby led before Paul Mills levelled matters up from the edge of the area.

The home side took control though and led 3-1 before a Dean Andrews penalty sent the sides in at 3-2 at half-time.

Whitby were back on the front foot after the interval though and stormed into a 5-2 lead before Travis Wood bagged a late consolation.

Gaddass picked out Shaun Wood at centre back as his side’s star man while he also paid tribute to stand-in keeper Shaun Hope.


There was a huge shock as Trafalgar Reserves lost their first league game of the season against Heslerton.

Col Jenkinson and Andy Noon’s side just didn’t get going and Heslerton made them pay for their missed chances as they claimed the three points.


Andy Goodwin’s West Pier Reserves side won 3-1 at Tennyson Reserves.

They fell behind after a mix-up from Chris Ryan and keeper Steve Malone, but bounced back through a solo effort from Rob Farnell.

Pier led 2-1 at half-time after Graeme Reid polished off a fine team move that involved Jon Stockell, Dan Birley and Chris Weetman.

The points were in the bag after Damian Haworth fed Luke Midgley to make it 3-1.

Darren Swinger was Pier’s star man.

ALMA 2 CASTLE 2 (Watts, Sanderson)

Castle and Alma shared the spoils after a 2-2 draw,

Ryan Sanderson gave Castle the lead but Alma battled back to lead 2-1.

Ryan Sanderson bagged a leveller that rounded the scoring off, but Alma will feel frustrated after twice hitting the post as they hunter for an elusive winner.