SUNDAY LEAGUE: Five-star Laing sinks rivals Cayton

editorial image

Hot-shot Ian Laing fired in five goals to help Itis Itis earn an 8-2 home win against relegation rivals Cayton, while Commercial went second in division two thanks to a 1-0 win at Heslerton, and rivals Whitby Wanderers sank to a 2-1 loss at Angel.

Scarborough News Sunday League

Division one

Itis Itis 8 (Laing 5, Chambers 2, Hurthwaite) Cayton 2 (Gandolfi, Byerley)

Ian Laing’s five-star display helped Itis Itis earn an 8-2 home win against 10-man Cayton.

The hosts went 2-0 up after only 10 minutes in this relegation battle, Ian Laing capitalising on two defensive errors by a depleted Cayton side, both efforts resulting in one-on-ones that the striker coolly despatched.

Ten minutes later Laing completed his hat-trick with a close-range finish, and Luke Chambers tap-in made it 4-0.

James Hurthwaite scored from a corner to make it 5-0 to Itis Itis at half-time.

Chambers scored his second with a great header from a Lloyd Henderson cross, but Cayton replied with a strong header from Dean Byerley.

Laing added his fourth, a dipping volley, to make it 7-1, and although Steve Gandolfi struck a second for Cayton, Laing’s fifth completed the rout and earning him the man-of-the-match award.

Division two

Heslerton 0 Commercial 1 (Osai)

Commercial left it late to claim a 1-0 win at Heslerton, but the three points lift Geoff Osguthorpe’s side back into second spot on goal difference.

The visitors, who were forced to make seven changes due to injuries and unavailability, controlled the first half without making too many clear-cut chances.

In the second half the home side took charge, having superior possession and they hit the bar in the 67th minute with a Tom Harrison free-kick.

As Heslerton pressed Commercial hit them on the break, substitute Jamie Fowler, on 83 minutes, flicked the ball onto right-sided midfielder Martin Osai for him to poke home underneath keeper Lewis Smith.

Osguthorpe said: “I am really happy with the hard work and commitment shown by the lads to graft out a 1-0 win and to respond from our semi -final defeat, we are still unbeaten in the league in 2014.

“Man of match was Adam James in central midfield who controlled everything, while 42-year-old Darren Howes was also very strong at centre-back

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “We played far better than last week and deserved something out of the game. Our man of the match was skipper Ross Flinton, who played at centre-half, with Mikey Webster and keeper Lewis Smith also having good games too.

“We just couldn’t break down a rigid Commercial back four.”

Angel 2 (Galway, C Rose) Whitby Wanderers 1 (Marshall)

Angel dented Whitby Wanderers’ second division promotion chances with a 2-1 home win.

Dave Galway and Curtis Rose were on target for the home side, with Andrew Marshall’s header the only Wanderers effort to beat the Angel keeper Nathan Palmer.

The visitors created a lot of chances but could not add to their tally against an impressive Angel side.

Jimmy Landers was named as the man of the match for Wanderers, while Palmer was named as the star man for Angel for a string of fine saves.

Fylingdales Reserves 0 West Pier Reserves 8 (Weetman 4, Ledden 2, Farnell, Garton)

West Pier Reserves claimed an 8-0 win at Fylingdales Reserves, but Pier boss Andy Goodwin admitted the scoreline flattered his team.

Pier took the lead when, after a long ball forward, a home centre-back headed clear and Rob Farnell smacked a 25-yard volley into the top corner.

The visitors closed the ball straight from the restart and Chris Weetman latched onto a through-ball to slotted home Pier’s second on 15 minutes.

Five minutes later Weetman put pressure on the villagers’ back four and won the ball back, curling home a right-footed shot from the edge of the box.

In the 25th minute the win was sealed when Pier won a corner and Weetman put it in for Rich Garton to head home for a 4-0 lead.

On 35 minutes James Ledden went through one-on-one and neatly finished.

Pier made it 6-0 before the break, winning a free-kick 25 yards out that Ledden fired to the back post for Weetman to tap home for his hat-trick.

The visitors eased off after the break, and struggled playing into a strong wind.

They did eventually make it 7-0 in the 70th minute, after applying some pressure a cross was put into the six-yard box and Ledden got a touch to get his second.

With 10 minutes to go Garton lofted a cross in the area from the half-way line that was cleared to the left for Weetman to run onto and fire a 30- yard thunderbolt into the top corner of the net.

Goodwin said: “We were far from our best today but to have an off day and still win 8-0 just shows how strong our squad is.

“Rich Garton and Damian Howarth both had a good game but Weetman has to take the man of the match for his four great goals.”

Castle 0 Newlands Park Res 1 (T Wood)

Newlands Park Reserves maintained fourth spot with a hard-earned 1-0 win at third-from-bottom Castle, despite playing most of the game with only 10 men.

The sending-off of a Park player after 10 minutes saw Castle get on top in the first half and only fine saves from Sean Hope in the Park goal maintained the 0-0 scoreline, with Jordan Shaw and Ryan Sanderson both going close.

After Dave Gaddass’ stern team-talk at half-time, the visitors took charge in the second half and scored the winner on 70 minutes when Travis Wood headed in a well-flighted Liam Mintoft cross.

Central midfielder Dan Sheader was the man of the match for Park, with his midfield partner Tom Mackenzie-Fenwick also impressive, while defenders Jack McFarlane and Leroy Donaldson also shone.