SUNDAY LEAGUE: Glendinning grabs six as Traf trounce Valley

NRCFA Sunday Challenge Cup holders Trafalgar hammered Scarborough League neighbours Valley FC 16-3 to start the defence of their trophy in scintillating fashion.

Sunday, 8th October 2017, 2:52 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 5:27 am
Danny Glendinning hit six goals in Trafalgar's 16-3 win against Valley. Picture by Steve Lilly.

Striker Danny Glendinning led the charge for the holders, hitting a double hat-trick, Callum also helping himself to four goals.

Traf's other goals came courtesy of doubles from Mikey Barker and Jamie Patterson and strikes from Luke Jones and Tyler Richardson.

Patterson was named man of the match for the victors by stand-in boss Alex Sheader.

Angel are also safely through to the next round after a 2-1 win at Riverside despite missing several key men.

The travelling Scarborough side finally managed to make their domination of possession count after 70 minutes, when substitute Adam Stokes' effort was handled on the line and the referee pointed to the spot.

After the Riverside man had bizarrely been shown only a yellow card, Martin Cooper comfortably stroked home from the spot.

It looked like Angel were going to be taken to extra-time when Riverside threw their star centre-back up front and he lobbed Joe Wright to level matters up with just 10 minutes left on the clock.

Dan Jones' side weren't to be denied though and the win was secured when they won a free-kick just outside the box and Jackson Jowett found the bottom corner.

Callum Gravestock and Marcus Mockridge were the star men for the depleted Angel side.

A heavily depleted Newlands side crashed out of the competition after suffering a 4-3 defeat at Village Park Rangers.

Two goals from midfielder maverick Aidan Thomas and a Kile Fields strike weren't enough for Joe Hakings' side to progress.

Nathan Barber was Newlands' man of the match.

Ayton Reserves will be in the hat for the second round draw after they won 5-2 at Golden Last.

Chris Hannam handed Steven Frederiksen's side the lead, but Golden Last were level after they were awarded a penalty for hand ball.

Ayton ended the half in a strong fashion, goals from Liam Scott and Luke Chambers handing them a 3-1 lead heading into the half-time break.

Scott's second then made it 4-1 before Joe D'Angelo-White's deflected strike handed Ayton a commanding 5-1 lead, and despite a late consolation for Golden Last after a goalkeeping error, Ayton hung on.

Scott was Ayton's star man.

Roscoes Bar fell to a 6-2 defeat at Brotton Railway Arms.

Lee Paterson's side crashed out despite goals from Matty Rowley and Jack Worthy.

Keeper Lewis Maw was their man of the match.

Castle Tavern also exited the competition as they lost 4-2 at home to Sessay CC.

Tavern trailed 2-0 down but a Kyle O'Toole brace got the hosts back on level terms.

It wasn't enough for the hosts though, as two late Sessay goals sent them through.

Tom Hickin was Tavern's star man.

In Division Two, Hush won 4-2 against Radio Scarborough.

Zac Hansen hit all four goals for Dan Sheader's side, who were always comfortable despite Keith Savage's side hitting back to make it 3-2 late on.

Ell Binder and George Hirst scored for Radio Scarborough, whose man of the match was Tom Gavin.

Ryan Link shone in the midfield for the victors.

Fylingdales edged a 13-goal thriller against Newlands Reserves.

Simon Forde hit a hat-trick for Des Weston's side, Sam Russell hit two, and there were goals from man of the match Taylor Humble, Lewis Peel and Sam Bailey in their 8-5 win.

Man of the match Finley Willis hit two for the depleted Newlands second string side, while Finley McGregor smashed in a superb 30-yard volley.

Newlands' other two goals came from Tyler Beck and Lee McLaughlin.

The only scheduled game in Division One between Ayton and Fylingdales was called off as there was no referee available.