Sunday League: Heslerton march on

Neil Thomas scored five times in Trafalgar's victory over Whitby Wanderers
Neil Thomas scored five times in Trafalgar's victory over Whitby Wanderers

Heslerton moved up to second place in the Division One standings with a 3-2 win over Itis Itis United.

Dean Storry’s young side, who are new to the top flight this season, claimed their third win on the bounce thanks to an 80th-minute strike from Mikey Clarke.

Dan Blanchard lobbed home the only goal of the first half to give the village side the lead, but Jakob Flisnik’s header levelled things up after the break.

Josh Beach set up Gareth Driver to restore the hosts’ advantage, but United hit back a second time when Zac Hansen struck.

With just 10 minutes remaining, some fine approach play by David Thompson presented Clarke with the chance to net the game’s decisive goal.

Storry told the Scarborough News: “We weren’t at our best, but I’m really pleased with the three points.

“Itis Itis were quite unlucky, they deserved a point from the game, but this win moves us up to second in the league, so we’ll take it.

“The lads have done brilliantly this season, they’ve worked hard in every game, so while I’m a bit surprised to see us so high up in the table, I have to say that my players deserve to be there.”

Storry picked out central midfielder Billy Bown as his side’s star man.

West Pier continued their solid start to the campaign with a 4-1 win on the road at Commercial.

A 25-yard strike from Ryan Baldry was the only highlight of a scrappy first half, and handed Pier the lead at the interval.

Luke Delve made it 2-0 early in the second period, but the hosts pulled one back to close the gap.

Martin Cooper then netted from just outside the area to restore the visitors’ two-goal cushion, and a second from Delve rounded things off.

Pier boss Paddy Parke praised the defensive duo of Sam Hyde and James Wardle for their performances in what he described as a “poor” display from his side.

In the first division’s other game, Fylingdales claimed their first league win of the season when they hammered a depleted Barrowcliff 11-1.

Division Two leaders First In Last Out were beaten for the first time when they suffered a 6-4 reverse at Cayton Corinthians.

Danny Collins and Brad Marsall both bagged braces for the hosts, while Harry Holden and Jon Read also netted in a game that the Corinthians led 3-1 at half-time.

A 20 yard strike in the first period from Phil Raisbeck gave FILO hope and when Luke Storr struck in the early stages of the second half, the visitors were right back in the game at 3-2.

Despite man of the match Raisbeck completing his hat-trick, Cayton had already done enough to claim the three points.

Roscoes Bar recorded their second win of the season when they eased to a 5-1 away win at Barrowcliff Reserves.

Tommy Day’s free-kick handed Barrowcliff a 1-0 half-time lead as Roscoes were left cursing their luck after Tom Allen hit the woodwork on three separate occasions.

The visitors continued to create chances after the break and eventually took one when substitute Carl Hepples squared the ball for his brother Gary to fire home.

Matthew Rowley’s deflected effort from a tight angle moved Roscoes ahead, and it was 3-1 when Carl Hepples netted following a scramble in the box.

A well-worked free-kick routine saw Carl Hepples back heel the ball for Gary Hepples to smash into the roof of the net before Lee Sutton headed in his side’s fifth of the game.

Roscoes boss Lee Patterson said: “It looked like it wasn’t going to be our day at first, but when Carl Hepples came on he changed the game.

“Everyone did well, but Gary Hepples deserves a lot of credit for playing the whole game despite picking up a nasty head injury.”

Trafalgar Reserves were forced to dig deep for a 2-1 win at Fylingdales Reserves, Mike Barker’s side playing the whole game with just 10 men.

The villagers took a first-half lead through Simon Forde but Traf pulled level when Jordan Aitken converted from the penalty spot.

Danny Glendinning broke clean through on goal and slotted calmly past the Dales keeper to win the game for the visitors midway through the second period.

Veteran centre-half Dave Bell was named Traf’s man of the match.

Trafalgar’s first team inflicted more misery on struggling Whitby Wanderers when they claimed a 10-1 victory in their North Riding County Cup clash.

Neil Thomas led the way with a five-goal haul, while Dean Craig, Luke Jenkinson and Liam Vasey were also on target.

An own goal and a 30-yard stunner from substitute Liam Salt completed the scoring for the victors.