Sunday League: Newlands do the double as rain hits schedule again

editorial image

Newlands beat West Pier to move intol the last four of the Senior Cup, while their reserve side won 3-0 in their division two clash that was switched to Heslerton.


WEST PIER 2 (Dobson, Cooper OG) NEWLANDS PARK 3 (McCoubrey, Harrison, Bates)

A late Stew Bates winner handed Newlands a 3-2 win at West Pier and a place in the last four of the Senior Cup in the process.

A stunning 25-yard strike from Drew McCoubrey put Newlands into a 1-0 lead, but they were pegged back after Cameron Dobson capitalised on some poor Newlands defending to level matters up.

Paddy Parke’s Pier were soon ahead after an unfortunate own goal by Sam Cooper.

The away side weren’t behind for too long though and robust centre-back Jason Harrison’s header restored parity.

Just as it looked like the sides were destined to end the game on level terms, substitute Bates latched onto a through-ball and dinked over the advancing keeper.

Harrison and Cooper stood out for the victors, while Ady Blake was solid at the heart of the Pier defence.


HESLERTON 0 NEWLANDS RESERVES 3 (O’Flanagan 2, Donaldson)

Dave Gaddass’ Newlands Reserves side comfortably brushed aside Heslerton in their game that was switched due to Gallows Close being waterlogged.

Newlands took the lead after 20 minutes when a neatly whipped in cross was met at the back post by Sam O’Flanagan, who headed in.

The away side had to wait until the hour-mark to double their lead, O’Flanagan again the man to find the target with the goal of the game.

The young wide man dodged a number of would-be tacklers before rounding the keeper and another challenge before tapping in.

The final Newlands strike came when Leroy Donaldson headed into the ground and the ball looped over the keeper and into the net.

Gaddass paid tribute to his entire side. He said: “Everyone played well.

“It was a solid team effort and we deserved to win the match.”

Donaldson was named as man of the match while Gaddass also singled out Travis Wood and two-goal hero O’Flanagan.

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “They deserved to win the game.

“We didn’t create many chances and they took theirs well.”

Sixteen-year-old Lewis Vasey shone for Heslerton at right-wing-back.