Sunday League: Newlands grab later winner to make cup progress

Newlands and Klosters do battle at Flixton. Picture: Steve Lilly
Newlands and Klosters do battle at Flixton. Picture: Steve Lilly

Ben Luntley’s Newlands side edged past Klosters to move into the second round of the FA Sunday Cup.

Newlands led 2-0 at the break after an even first 45 minutes, first Adam Stride latched onto a Niall Gibb ball over the top to finish well before minutes later Ben Briggs was afforded time and space at the back post to nod in.

Rhys Howell Klosters battled back into the contest after the break, Ashley Townley smashing in from distance to halve their deficit before Dan Peel levelled matters up from a tight angle.

Klosters lost their keeper Nav Ranjid to a nasty arm injury, Mark Vasey deputising between the posts. And with the game seemingly heading for penalties, Vasey was picking the ball out of the net with just five minutes left on the clock.

Newlands striker Drew McCoubrey finding space in the box before arrowing the ball into the bottom corner.

Luntley singled out Briggs as his side’s man of the match.

Newlands’ main rivals Trafalgar enjoyed a much more comfortable morning as they breezed past Roscoes Bar and into the second round.

Liam Salt’s side, playing with only 10 men, hammered Roscoes 13-1.

Player-boss Salt bagged five, while Dean Craig and Neil Thomas fired in a hat-trick apiece, with Ben Salt and Ali Caw rounding off the scoring.

Birthday boy Gary Jordan was Traf’s man of the match.

Trafalgar’s Reserves side also breezed into the next round after trouncing Newlands Reserves 10-2.

Danny Glendinning and Mikey Barker banged in trebles, Al Wray grabbed a brace, Jordan Aitken netted from the spot and debutant Sam Pickard also got on the scoresheet for Col Jenkinson’s men.

Dunc McDermott and Ryan Sanderson grabbed Newlands’ goals.

Fylingdales beat their reserve side 6-1 to move into the next round.

After a tight opening to the contest, Ben Sullivan put the second string ahead, only for Ryan Braithwaite to level matters up.

Braithwaite grabbed his second after the break with a neat free-kick before Sullivan was sent for an early bath for dissent.

The first team took full advantage and goals from Kyle Clacherty, Paul Watson, Sam Richardson and Tommy Gray wrapped up the win for John Cuffling’s men.

Gray was in fine form for Dales’ first team, while Ryan Cook caught the eye for the reserves.

West Riding’s impressive start to the season continued as they beat Cayton 4-3 to secure their passage into the second round.

Cayton took the lead but a Josh Foley header levelled things up for West Riding.

The away side snatched the lead again moments later, only for Liam Buglass to smash in from 25-yards to make it 2-2.

Cayton led at the break though after nudging themselves ahead for the third time in the opening 45 minutes.

Riding weren’t to be denied their spot in the second round though, Buglass again smashing in just after the break to drag them level, before Jack Ramos lobbed the keeper from distance to hand them the lead for the first time in the game, and with it a place in the next round of the competition.

Buglass was named as Riding’s man of the match.

Hull University grabbed a deserved 4-2 win on the road at Heslerton, despite trailing 2-0 at the break.

Billy Bown headed Heslerton into the lead before Mikey Clark doubled the lead just before the half-time whistle.

Uni dominated proceedings after the break though and ran out deserved winners after bagging four unanswered goals.

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “We were poor and they deserved to win the game and go through.

“They were just better than us.”

In a thrilling contest in division one, Itis Itis beat Whitby Wanderers 8-6 despite trailing 6-5 with just 10 minutes left on the clock.

The game had to be delayed after 10 minites when Itis Itis man Daryl Varley suffered a broken leg.

In a back-and-forth contest, Wanderers had managed to grab a 6-5 lead heading into the last 10 minutes only for Luke Chambers’ side to net three late goals to take the three points.

Paul Oldroyd and Robin Dixon both banged in doubles and there were goals from Elliott Sputt, Mikey Pickering, Sam Baker and an own goal.

Chambers couldn’t single out any individuals, instead praising his entire side for their efforts.

West Pier dominated the entire game against a depleted Commercial side, running out 9-0 winners.

Despite dominating the first half, Pier couldn’t find a way through against the wind and scores were level at 0-0 going into the break.

Using the conditions to their advantage after the break, Pier ran riot, smashing in nine unanswered goals to complete a comfortable victory.

Cameron Dobson smashed in three goals, Josh Clayton grabbed a brace and there were also goals for Rob Speight, Lloyd Henderson and Ryan Baldry, who also set up four of their goals and was named as their man of the match.

Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff beat Ayton 6-2 in division two.

Two quick goals handed Tony Walker’s men the lead, first Sean Naylor capitalised on a mistake by Ayton keeper Alex Glass to tap in before Craig Sponner lobbed in from 30 yards.

Two goals from Macauley Moore either side of the break handed Ayton parity, but Chris Hannam put Barrowcliff back into the lead.

Naylor netted his second after latching onto a Sam Turner through-ball before the scoring was completed by Ryan Link and Martin Wade, who grabbed the goal of the game after finishing a superb team move off.

Turner was in fine form at right back for Barrowcliff, while Moore was the only bright spark in an otherwise gloomy morning for Mark Plumpton’s side.

Alma beat Scarborough Sports Spa 5-3 to net their first points of the season at the seventh attempt.

Player-boss Phil Clothier grabbed a first-half hat-trick to put his side in a superb position, with Jonny Hayes also scoring to hand them a 4-0 lead at the break.

Spa battled back, grabbing two quick goals after half-time, but Keith Savage grabbed Alma’s fifth to give them some breathing space.

Spa grabbed a consolation strike, but the game had already been won by the home side.

Defender Nick Prew was named as their man of the match.