Sunday League: Penalty joy for Pier

West Pier appeal for a decision during their Senior Cup semi-final win against Itis Itis. Picture: Steve Lilly
West Pier appeal for a decision during their Senior Cup semi-final win against Itis Itis. Picture: Steve Lilly
  • Trafalgar and West Pier will meet in the final of the Senior Cup
  • Newlands hammer nine-man Klosters 11-0 in division one
  • Ayton, Cayton, Barrowcliff and Heslerton do their promotion bids no harm with victories in division two

West Pier edged out Itis Itis on penalties to move into the final of the Senior Cup.

Paddy Parke’s Pier led 1-0 after Luke Delve chested down a throw-in and fired into the bottom corner.

Trafalgar's Billy Logan heads forward. Picture: Steve Lilly

Trafalgar's Billy Logan heads forward. Picture: Steve Lilly

The away side battled on and were rewarded when Mark Oldroyd’s long-range free-kick was deflected past Jonny Hyde and into the back of the net for 1-1 heading into the break.

Itis Itis took the lead for the first time in the clash after the break when Josh Sands beat his marker and slotted in from the edge of the box.

With 15 minutes left on the clock Pier levelled matters up again, Lloyd Henderson’s effort from a corner was saved by Luke Chambers, but predatory front man Dave Bell was on hand to pounce and tap in to send the game to a penalty shoot-out.

After all 10 players had managed to hold their nerve and score from the spot, Itis Itis’ Jake Acton saw his spot-kick saved by Jonny Hyde in the Pier goal to send Pier through.

They’ve all been great this season, I’m very proud of them all for the way they’ve stuck to it and turned up week-in week-out for us

Trafalgar Reserves joint-boss Andy Noon

Pier will meet Trafalgar in the final after they cruised to a 9-0 win at home to Commercial in the other semi-final.

Traf dominated from start to finish and man of the match Chris Dove was in outstanding form in front of goal as he bagged four.

Billy Logan also grabbed a brace while there were also goals from Neil Thomas, Joel Ramm and Dean Craig, who notched the goal of the game after delicately chipping the Commercial keeper.

In the only game to go ahead in division one, Newlands kept their title bid alive with a comfortable 11-0 win over nine-man Klosters.

Stefan Moon was in scintillating form for Ben Luntley’s men, who were never troubled by their hosts.

Moon and Drew McCoubrey grabbed a hat-trick apiece while striker Stew Bates also fired in a double.

Liam Cooper, joint boss Ryan Cooper and Benjamin Briggs rounded-off the scoresheet for the victors.

Luntley picked out Moon as his side’s man of the match.

Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff edged a seven-goal-thriller at Hull Uni in division two.

Ed Burrows put Uni 1-0 up but Sean Naylor’s pen levelled matters up.

Naylor then netted again to put Barrowcliff 2-1 up, only for Uni’s star man George Thompson to grab a brace to put Uni back in front at 3-2.

Barrowcliff never stopped battling and after Chris Hannam had headed in to make it all square at 3-3, Josh Bowmaker’s long punt into the Uni box beat everyone and flew straight in to hand Tony Walker’s men the three points.

Trafalgar Reserves celebrated winning their third successive division two title with a 2-1 win against 10-man West Riding.

Jack Ramos’ screamer handed Riding a 1-0 lead at the interval, which prompted Traf Reserves’ joint boss Andy Noon to revert his players to their natural positions for the second half after they had mixed up their side from the start.

This resulted in an improved performance after the break and Damien Robinson’s brace handed Traf the victory.

Noon said: “The lads said they wanted to get the win at half-time so we put people back in the right positions and it worked well.

“They’ve all been great this season, I’m very proud of them all for the way they’ve stuck to it and turned up week-in week-out for us.”

In-form Ayton did their promotion bid no harm with a 4-2 win on the road at Fylingdales Reserves.

Tyson Stubbings proved to be the difference between the two sides as he fired in all four of Ayton’s goals, taking his tally for the season to 24.

Stubbings latched on to Jonny Atkinson’s long ball to make it 1-0, before he swept in from the penalty spot after a hand ball to double the lead.

The goal of the game put Ayton 3-0 up as Mark Plumpton’s ball found Stubbings again, who flicked up with his first touch and volleyed in.

It was 3-1 at half-time, Atkinson’s foul in the area allowing Sam Bailey to score from the penalty spot.

There were a few nervy moments for Ayton after Ben Thompson scored to make it 3-2, but Stubbings netted again to make the points safe for Ayton.

Tempers flared late on and Dales’ keeper Dan Smith was sent off after the full-time whistle for dissent.

Cayton hammered Newlands Reserves 9-1 to stay in the promotion hunt.

Danny Collins was in outstanding form for Jonny Best’s men as he fired in four goals for the victors.

Jonathan Read also grabbed a hat-trick as Cayton ran riot, with Jon Hodgson and skipper Harry Holden wrapping up the scoring.

Heslerton stayed just above Cayton in the league table after a 5-1 win on the road at Alma.

Dan Blanchard was their star man as he smashed in a hat-trick, while defender Ross Flinton and Aidan Horton also got their names on the scoresheet.

Heslerton sit in third spot, just four points behind second-placed Barrowcliff with three games in hand.