Sunday League: Pier battle back to see off Barrowcliff

Itis Itis United and Heslerton contest a header during the latter's 2-1 win at Oliver's Mount. Picture: Steve Lilly
Itis Itis United and Heslerton contest a header during the latter's 2-1 win at Oliver's Mount. Picture: Steve Lilly

Paddy Parke’s West Pier side had to fight back from 1-0 down to see off Barrowcliff in Division One.

Barrowcliff took the lead just 30 seconds into the contest when stand-in keeper Adam Morriss, who was making his West Pier debut, made a mess of a regulation save and fumbled over the line.

Ayton defender Ben Mason clears his lines during their 4-1 win against Newlands Reserves. Picture: Steve Lilly

Ayton defender Ben Mason clears his lines during their 4-1 win against Newlands Reserves. Picture: Steve Lilly

Another new acquisition for Parke’s men, Kyle O’Toole, levelled matters up shortly after though when he smashed in from 30 yards.

Pier were in full command of proceedings now and Cameron Dobson added a brace to make it 3-1 at the break.

The away side could have found themselves even further behind had it not been for the countless superb saves from keeper Rich Curtis, but he could do nothing to stop Rob Speight making it 4-1.

Barrowcliff notched to make it 4-2, but a Martin Cooper strike rounded off the scoring.

Parke singled out Mikey Pickering and Jordan Shaw.

Trafalgar are top of the pile after they thumped Commercial 10-2.

Man of the match Sean Exley fired in a hat-trick, while Mikey Barker and Billy Logan both notched doubles.

Goals from Neil Thomas and Jordan Aitken wrapped up the scoring, while Dom Billington and Macauley Youngson scored for Geoff Osguthorpe’s Commercial.

Stand-in keeper Mike Hyde performed heroics in the Commercial goal and was singled out by boss Osguthorpe.

Champions Newlands beat Fylingdales 3-0 as they continued the solid start they’ve made to defending their title.

Drew McCoubrey bagged a brace, one coming from the penalty spot, and Jack Ramos also found the back of the net to wrap up a comfortable win for Ben Luntley’s side.

Luntley singled out Aidan Thomas and keeper Callum Myers.

Heslerton battled to a 2-1 win on the road at Itis Itis United.

Dan Blanchard and Tom Peel registered for Dean Storry’s side, Peel’s strike a stunning effort from 30 yards.

Storry said: “We just shaded the game on the whole and deserved the points.

“Ross Flinton was outstanding at the back for us while Billy Bown played well in midfield as well.”

Whitby-side First In Last Out continue to dominate in Division Two in their maiden season as they beat Roscoes Bar 3-1.

Despite enjoying the majority of the possession, the home side couldn’t break down Bar until the 50th minute when Stuart Gregson smashed in a free-kick.

Jordan Purvis made it 2-0 after 64 minutes, but Martin Hadrick halved the deficit to give Lee Paterson’s men some hope of a comeback.

Any hopes were dashed when James Organ-Simpson fired in after 71 minutes to wrap up proceedings.

Paterson singled out keeper George Allen, who made a string of top quality saves to keep Bar in the contest.

Ayton continued their strong start to the season with a 4-1 home win against Newlands Reserves.

The home side led after Tyson Stubbings fired in, but Shem Atkinson fired in a penalty to level the game up heading into the break.

Player-boss Mark Plumpton’s sublime 25-yard chip put his side back in front before Niall Prentice teed up Stubbings to net his second and Ayton’s third.

Prentice was again the provider minutes later as he set up Kieran Friett to round up the scoring at 4-1.

Ayton’s keeper Dan Bywater was Ayton’s star man after making some crucial first-half saves.

Cayton Corinthians registered a 2-1 home win against Fylingdales Reserves.

Danny Collins and Scott Davison bagged the goals to hand Lee Best’s side the three points.

Alma battled back from 1-0 down to beat Barrowcliff Reserves 2-1.

Tommy Day put Barrowcliff in the lead, but scores were level at the break after player-manager Phil Clothier fired in after a through-ball from Tom Fordyce.

Fordyce was then on hand to grab the winner after he was sent through on goal by Clothier as Alma wrapped up the three points with just five minutes left on the clock.

Clothier handed keeper Jordan Wood the man of the match award.

He said: “I was really proud of everyone that played as they had to dig deep especially to come from behind for a second week running.

“It’s been a promising start to the season so far but there is still a long way to go, so we just focus on taking one game at a time.”

Crown Tavern took a 3-1 lead but had to settle for a share of the spoils as Scarborough Campus battled back to secure a 3-3 draw.

Campus went 1-0 up through Ed Burrows, but three Tavern strikes put them in command.

But Campus switched things around and keeper George Thompson ditched the gloves to play outfield, a move that paid off for Paul Hill’s men, as he scored two penalties to secure them a point.

Hill singled out George Friend and Dan Holden, as well as the whole team after they battled back to take a point.