Sunday League: Shaw shines on debut as Newlands Reserves upset leaders Traf

editorial image

Jordan Shaw was the start man as he bagged a brace on his debut for Newlands Reserves, who beat Traf Reserves 3-1 while there were also wins for Filey Flyers and Tennyson in division one.

Division One

Fylingdales 2 Filey Flyers 5 (Briggs, Emerson, Young, Sugden, Pinder)

Filey Flyers bounced back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Fylingdales 5-2 away from home.

The home side led 1-0 at the break and doubled their lead after the interval, despite Flyers having a plethora of chances.

They were allowed back into the game when the home keeper spilled the ball and Benjamin Briggs pounced to make it 2-1.

James Young levelled matters up as he flashed across the keeper from 10 yards before John Emerson’s attempted cross from a free-kick evaded everyone and landed in the bottom corner.

Fylingdales were beaten by this stage and late goals from Liam Sugden and James Pinder heaped further misery on the home side.

Ryan Baldry was Flyers’ man of the match.

Tennyson 3 Cayton Corinthians 2 (McAleese, Blake)

Tennyson staved off a late fight-back from visiting Cayton Corinthians to win 3-2.

They raced into a 3-0 lead before goals from Sam Blake and young winger Jake McAleese found the net to give Cayton some hope.

Billy Johnson’s men held on for the three points though.

The home side could have netted more than their three goals had it not been for man of the match Josh Brown in the Cayton goal, who made some superb stops.

Trafalgar P-P Klosters

Division Two:

Newlands Park Reserves 3 (Shaw 2, Wood) Trafalgar Reserves 1 (Noon)

Jordan Shaw shone on his debut for Newlands Reserves as he bagged a brace in their win over high-flying Trafalgar Reserves.

Dave Gaddass’ Newlands side led 1-0 at the interval after Travis Wood latched onto a ball over the top and chested past the advancing Traf keeper before finishing well.

It was all level shortly after the break though, Traf’s joint player-manager Andy Noon volleying in neatly.

Newlands weren’t to be denied though and Shaw netted his first after 65 minutes when he cut in from the flank and finished well.

The points were wrapped up when Shaw outpaced his marker again and made it 3-1.

Gaddass picked out Shaw as his star man, while he also praised midfield duo Tyler Richardson and Chris Hannam.

Ayton 4 (Sowray 2, T McDougall, J McDougall) Fylingdales Reserves 1

Another debutante to shine was new Ayton signing Chris Sowray, who bagged two in their 4-1 win at home against Fylingdales Reserves.

Sowray netted twice in an explosive first-half salvo before being brought off.

Sowray’s first came courtesy of a header after a neat cross from Tyson Stubbings, before he latched onto Sam Wallace’s flick-on to net his second that gave Ayton a 2-0 lead at the break.

A defensive mix-up led to Fylingdales Reserves equalising 10 minutes into the second half, but Tom McDougall soon had Ayton back in charge as he made it 3-1 with a header at the back post.

He was soon in the action again as he set up his brother John moments later to make it 4-1 and wrap up the action.

Sowray and John McDougall were singled out by boss Mark Plumpton.

Castle 7 (Sanderson 3, Jenkins 2, Day, Watts) Alma 2

Ryan Sanderson was in fine form in front of goal as he banged in a hat-trick in Castle’s 7-2 win at home to struggling Alma.

Sanderson’s first handed them a 1-0 lead before Alma levelled up.

Scores weren’t level for too long though as Sanderson grabbed his second before James Day made it 3-1.

An Andy Jenkins brace ensured Castle were comfortable at 5-1 going into the interval.

Their dominance continued after the break as Sanderson quickly wrapped up his hat-trick before Jack Watts’ strike made it 7-1.

Alma grabbed a late consolation, but the damage was already done.

Manager Aaron Hepworth paid tribute to his full team, while picking out Jenkins as his man of the match.

Commercial 3 (Barron, Younson, Palmer) Heslerton 1 (Billington own goal)

Geoff Osguthorpe’s depleted Commercial side battled to a 3-1 win at home to Heslerton.

Captain Oli Barron gave them the lead after 25 minutes before Macauley Youngson’s effort from Steven Barker’s through-ball made it 2-0 at half-time.

Centre-back Nick Palmer’s effort was then allowed to cross the line when the keeper ought to have kept it out and Commercial led 3-0.

An unfortunate own goal from Dom Billington ensured the final score read 3-1, and Commercial boss Osguthorpe was delighted with his team’s efforts.

Osguthorpe singled out Youngson, Barker and Billington as his side’s star men.

Whitby Wanderers P-P Angel

Kenward Cup:

West Pier P-P Newlands