Sunday League: Ten-man Traf seal penalty joy while Alma net first clean sheet in four years

Sunday League round-up by Daniel Gregory
Sunday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

A depleted Trafalgar side overcame the disappointment of throwing away a 4-1 lead to win on penalties at Fylingdales in the FA Sunday Cup.

Traf went down to 10 men after 30 minutes after suffering several injuries and with both subs, Luke Jenkinson and Jackson Jowett, both having already come on.

Nevertheless, Traf raced into a 4-1 lead, sub Jenkinson netting a double with Ben Salt and Neil Thomas adding to the tally.

Traf tired after the break and Dales roared back into the cup tie, drawing level at 4-4.

Rob Pinder looked to have given Traf the win when he fired in to make it 5-4, only for Dales to hit a last-gasp leveller, sending the game to penalties.

All 10 penalty takers netted, taking the shoot-out to sudden-death. After a Dales man fired over the bar, man of the match Al Wray netted to send Traf into the next round.

Stand-in boss Dean Macauley said: “We were cruising but the injuries hit us and we tired after the break.”

Traf’s perennial rivals Newlands also moved into the next round with a 3-1 win at depleted Klosters.

The away side dominated the opening 45 minutes but some resolute defending from Rhys Howell’s men kept the score at 1-0 at half-time, Stew Bates scoring their goal with a scintillating volley.

Klosters edged their way back into matters after the break and were aggrieved when a brilliant solo goal from Dan Peel was chalked out by the referee.

Combative midfielder Stefan Moon then doubled Newlands’ lead after 70 minutes, before the home side were reduced to 10 men when Liam Vasey was shown his second yellow card.

Bates wrapped matters up with his second and Newlands’ third, before Ashley Townley netted a consolation for the home side.

Howell singled out centre-back Lee Luntley as his side’s star man, while Townley also shone.

Itis Itis stormed into the next round with a comprehensive 7-1 win at Heslerton.

Robin Dixon was in form in front of goal for Jamie Williams’ side as he banged in a hat-trick.

Dixon’s first and a fortunate goal from Danny Williams from a corner handed the away side a 2-0 lead at the break.

Two more goals from Dixon and strikes from Ell Spurr, Mark Oldroyd and Carl Marton handed Itis Itis a commanding win, despite a late strike from the home side and the sending off of Mikey Pickering, who received two yellow cards.

Williams singled out Josh Sands as his man of the match.

Cayton are also into the next round after a 4-2 win at Ayton.

Ayton started brightly and took a 1-0 lead through Niall Prentice, who finished neatly with his left-foot after being played through on goal.

Prentice and Mike Grayshan both missed glorious opportunities to add to the Ayton lead and the away side punished them.

A goalkeeping error handed Cayton parity as Jonny Best struck before two more goals in quick succession from Scott Davison and Jake McAleese handed the away side a 3-1 lead at half-time.

Cayton bagged another through Simon Stubbs to make it 4-1 after the break before Tyson Stubbings netted for Ayton to make it 4-2, but it was too little-too late for Mark Plumpton’s men.

Alma grabbed their first clean-sheet since the club formed four years ago as they beat Scarborough Spa 1-0 in division two.

The only goal of a bad-tempered affair came midway through the first half, striker Michael Fishburn finding time and space to lob the keeper.

Alma managed to hold on despite some pressure from Spa in the second half as tempers flared on a number of occasions.

Player-manager Phil Clothier picked out Brad Easton as their man of the match, but paid tribute to his entire side.

West Riding stayed on course for promotion with a 6-2 win over Hull Uni.

Chris Cass opened the scoring for James Prethero’s men before James Seymour doubled their advantage.

Uni battled back into proceedings though and goals either side of the interval restored parity.

An own goal handed Riding the lead before another Seymour goal made it 4-2 and gave the home side some breathing space.

Luke Jones found the top corner to make it 5-2 before Jack Ramos rounded off the scoring with Riding’s sixth.

Callum Gravestock had the opportunity to make it 7-2, but he missed from the penalty spot.

Prethero singled out Cass as his man of the match.

Riding’s rivals for the title, Trafalgar Reserves, managed to beat Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff despite boss Andy Noon missing 11 members of his squad.

Billy Logan’s rasping 35-yard free-kick gave Traf the lead and they never looked back, despite going down to 10 men after full-back Grant Elwell hobbled off.

Debutant Sean Thornton grabbed a brace, as did his strike partner Mikey Barker as Traf recorded a 5-3 win despite a late resurgence from the visitors.

Noon praised the performance of debutant Thornton, whose workrate from the front aided the side’s cause, and Kyle O’Toole, who shone in an unfamiliar central midfield berth.

Roscoes Bar beat Fylingdales Reserves 3-1.

Gary Hepples grabbed their opener after being played clean through on the Dales goal and making no mistake.

Roscoes had to be resolute as Dales started the second half well and levelled matters up with a speculative lob from out wide, but Mark Kenyon netted to settle their nerves and make it 2-1 before Hepples second, a superb effort with his weaker left-foot from the edge of the box, wrapped things up for Lee Paterson’s side.

The only scheduled game in division one between West Pier and Whitby Wanderers was called off as there was no referee available.