Sunday League: Traf edge closer to title while Commercial re-affirm promotion ambitions

editorial image

Andy Noon and Col Jenkinson’s Trafalgar Reserves side edged closer to the division two title, while Commercial beat Newlands Reserves 4-2 to stay in the promotion mix-up.


Roscoes 1 (Scott) Itis Itis 5 (Meads 2, Chambers 2, Oldroyd)

Itis Itis progressed into the next round of the Senior Cup after cruising to a 5-1 win at Roscoes Bar.

The away side led 4-0 at the interval after dominating the first half.

Their first goal came from Luke Chambers, who accurately chipped the Roscoes keeper.

Phil Meads headed powerfully in for 2-0 before he smashed in through a crowded area to make it 3-0.

Itis Itis; fourth came through Mark Oldroyd, who managed to lob the home keeper again.

Liam Scott’s superb strike from the edge of the box gave Roscoes hope of a second-half revival, but Chambers netted his second with a neat lob to complete the scoring at 5-1 and take Itis Itis into the next round.

West Pier P-P Newlands


Cayton P-P Trafalgar

Filey Flyers P-P Klosters


Angel 2 (Rose 2) Trafalgar Reserves 3 (A Wray 3)

Trafalgar Reserves edged a closely-fought encounter at Angel to move a step closer to the division two title.

Playing the first half with a strong wind behind their backs, Andy Noon and Col Jenkinson’s side took a 2-0 lead.

Both their first-half goals came from long throws from Kurtis Henderson as Al Wray headed in both times.

With the win at their back after the break, the home side battled back into the contest and deserved to be level after two goals from Curt Rose.

But the title-chasing away side weren’t to be denied and Wray polished off his hat-trick with a neat solo effort and finish.

Traf’s joint-boss Noon said: “Everyone was brilliant for us. We had to battle hard in tough conditions.

“The wind played its part, the first half was all ours and they dominated the second.”

Wray was named as the man of the match after his crucial treble.

Commercial 4 (Barker 2, Youngson, Mattla) Newlands Reserves 2 (Shaw 2)

Geoff Osguthorpe’s Commercial side remained firmly in the hunt for promotion after a 4-2 win against Newlands Reserves.

Their prolific front man Mikey Barker put them 1-0 up after the Newlands keeper hesitated and he poked in.

Dave Gaddass’ Newlands side weren’t behind for long though and a double from young striker Jordan Shaw put them 2-1 up.

Scores were level at the break though after Macauley Youngson’s stunning strike.

It was the home side who carried their momentum into the second half and they netted almost straight after the re-start, Ricky Webster feeding Barker to notch his second.

The scoring was completed by Polish midfielder Matt Mattla, who shone in the Commercial midfield.

Boss Osguthorpe said: “We’re on a nice little run at the moment and this win keeps us in the promotion race.

“The 4-2 scoreline maybe flatters us a bit, but we took our chances a bit more clinically than they managed to.”

Heslerton 2 (Harrison, Beach penalty) West Pier Reserves 3 (Bell 2, A Sheader)

West Pier Reserves picked up three points from their trip to Heslerton.

The home side took the lead after 20 minutes, Tom Harrison picking the ball up inside his own half before striking in from 20 yards.

Heslerton’s lead lasted until just after the break, but Pier’s Nick Bell bagged a brace to put his side in the lead for the first time in the contest.

Dean Storry’s men were back in the contest after Scott Bown was brought down in the area by Damian Howarth and Josh Beach made no mistake from the spot.

But Pier weren’t to be denied maximum points and substitute Andy Sheader settled the contest after finishing well following a neat solo run.

Heslerton pressed for the leveller but Pier held on for the win.

Boss Andy Goodwin said: “Danny Birley and Chris Watson played well but Jonny Hyde was our man of the match at centre back.

“Heslerton have improved since we played them at the start of the season and gave us a really good game.”

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “I thought we deserved a point from the game, it was a good game though and they’re a strong team.”

Storry picked out Mikey Webster, Harrison and 16-year-old Aidan Smith as his side’s star men.

Tennyson Res 6 (Mahoney 3, M Reddy 2, P Reddy) Castle 1 (Sanderson)

Tennyson Reserves cruised to a 6-1 win at home to Castl as Sam Mahoney bagged a hat-trick.

Mark Reddy gave Tony Walker’s side a 2-0 lead with a brace before Josh Sunter crossed for Mahoney to head in his first for 3-0.

It was 3-1 at half-time after Ryan Sanderson’s strike, but Tennyson’s domination continued after the break.

Mahoney headed in his second before Paul Reddy made it 5-1.

Mahoney completed his hat-trick after beating three men and smashing in to round-off the scoring.

Sunter was named as the man of the match.

Alma 1 (Clothier) Ayton 5 (Stubbings, Plumpton, Bywater, Wallace, OG)

Ayton eased to a 5-1 win on the road at Alma.

They led 4-0 at half-time and were never in any danger of not leaving Oliver’s Mount with the three points.

Tyson Stubbings grabbed their first before the same man’s cross was turned into his own net by an Alma defender for 2-0.

Stubbings was again at the heart of Ayton’s third, this time showing the Alma full-back a clean pair of heels before pulling back for player-manager Mark Plumpton, who hammered into the net off the underside of the bar.

Sam Wallace made it 4-0 just before half-time before Dan Bywater made it 5-0 after the break.

Phil Clothier netted a consolation strike as Ayton took their foot off the gas in the second half, but the win was never in doubt.

Stubbings was their man of the match.