Sunday League: Traf into County Cup final after Sportsmans success

West Riding apply the pressure on the Traf Reserves goal during their 3-0 Goalsports Trophy semi-final win. Picture: Steve Lilly
West Riding apply the pressure on the Traf Reserves goal during their 3-0 Goalsports Trophy semi-final win. Picture: Steve Lilly
  • Liam Salt’s Trafalgar side into prestigious County Cup final at first time of asking
  • West Riding and Roscoes Bar will meet in Goalsports Trophy final
  • Pier hold Newlands to dent their title charge
  • Heslerton beat Uni 2-1 to keep outside chances of promotion charge alive

Player-boss Liam Salt praised his side after they beat Sportsmans 4-0 to make the final of the North Riding County FA Sunday Cup.

It is the first time Trafalgar have entered the North Riding’s senior Sunday competition, and they are now 90 minutes away from winning it at the first attempt after a superb performance on the road at Northallerton-based Sportsmans.

After cagey opening exchanges, Traf started to impose themselves on the encounter and took the lead on 35 minutes when Joel Ramm took possession on the edge of the box before turning and firing the away side in front.

It should have been 2-0 at the break after Billy Logan netted on the stroke of the half-time whistle, but the referee spotted a foul on the home side’s keeper and Traf had to make do with a slender 1-0 advantage at the interval.

It was soon 2-0 though, Billy Logan slamming in a 30-yard free-kick into the bottom corner after Neil Thomas was upended.

With 15 minutes left on the clock Traf made it 3-0, a superb pass from Logan finding his strike-partner Ramm, who calmly slotted in past the keeper.

This was probably the toughest draw we could have got, so we’ll go into the final full of confidence.

Trafalgar player-boss Liam Salt

The scoring was rounded off shortly after when substitute Sean Exley slotted in with his first touch after a ball over the top from Thomas.

Boss Salt was delighted with his side’s efforts. He said: “It was a bit of a nervous start to the game, they were a good side and 4-0 makes it look like we hammered them but it was a lot closer than that.

“Half-time came at the wrong time for us as we were starting to get on top of them, but we managed to find a few more in the second half.

“This was probably the toughest draw we could have got, so we’ll go into the final full of confidence.

“This has to be my biggest achievement as a manager, it’s great that we’ve made the final despite this being the first time we’ve entered the competition.”

It wasn’t to be a double celebration for the club however, as Trafalgar Reserves were beaten 3-0 by West Riding in their Goalsports Trophy semi-final at Oliver’s Mount.

It was 1-0 to James Prethero’s men at the interval after wing-back Chris Cass headed in Aiden McCallion’s cross in the 35th minute.

Ten minutes into the second half James Young made it 2-0 when he found the back of the net with a left-foot volley, before a counter-attack by West Riding resulted in Liam Buglass firing into the top corner.

Prethero singled out centre-back James Seymour as his side’s star man, while Traf’s joint-boss Andy Noon was left fuming at referee Damian O’Leary, who disallowed two goals for the away side, while also giving credit to the victors, who he admitted out-worked his side.

Riding will meet Roscoes Bar in the final after they beat Cayton 6-5 on penalties following a 3-3 draw.

Bar did it the hard way as they trailed 2-0 at the break.

They looked a different side after the break and the Hepples brothers teamed up five minutes into the second half to half their deficit.

Gary Hepples’ throw-in found Carl, who controlled, swivelled and fired in for 2-1.

The same two players then teamed up to draw Bar level on the hour mark, another long throw from Gary Hepples finding Carl again, this time the latter heading in to level matters up.

Bar were well and truly on the front foot by now and went 3-2 up when Matty Rowley’s deep corner found Carl Hepples at the back post, who made no mistake in heading in for his hat-trick.

Just as it looked like Bar were set for the 3-2 win, an 89th-minute penalty was awarded to Cayton and Harry Holden made no mistake in the sending the game to penalties.

After Martin Hadrick and Sean Rowley both missed from the spot for Bar and Cayton led 3-1, it looked like it would be Cayton who progressed.

But a Cayton man blazed over before Bar stopper George Allen saved the next effort to give Bar hope.

And after Carl Hepples, Graeme Farrah and player-boss Lee Paterson all netted, Allen made another superb save to give Tom Allen the chance to win it for Bar.

Allen made no mistake, despite the Cayton keeper getting a hand on his effort.

Paterson singled out hat-trick hero Carl Hepples, centre-back Jack Worthy and penalty hero George Allen as their star men.

Newlands’ division one title hopes were dealt a blow after a 3-3 draw with West Pier.

Newlands led on three occasions as Drew McCoubrey netted twice, his second coming from the penalty spot, and Aiden Thomas fired in their second.

But two goals from Luke Delve and one from Dave Bell handed Paddy Parke’s men a point.

Both keepers had saves to make, with Newlands’ Callum Myers and Pier’s Jonny Hyde both up to the task, while Dan Jones was Pier’s star man at centre-back and Thomas stood out for Newlands.

Fylingdales edged out local rivals Whitby Wanderers 3-2.

Barry Heyes and Jamie Agar put Dales 2-0 up, but a Ste Ross brace levelled matters up.

Dales sealed the points after Heyes was brought down in the box and Lewis Peel converted from the spot.

Dave Welham and Tom Hodgson stood out for the victors.

Itis Itis v Klosters was called off as there was no referee available for the fixture.

Heslerton’s outside chance at mounting a late promotion charge from division two was boosted after winning a pulsating encounter against Hull Uni 2-1.

All the goals came in the first half as Dan Blanchard and Gareth Driver bagged for Heslerton and Salim Dimla Uni’s solitary strike.

Both sides pressed to add to their tally after the break, but George Thompson was inspired form in the Uni goal.

Heslerton boss Dean Storry handed Josh Beach their man of the match honours, while Scott Bown and Tom Peel also received praise for their efforts.

Storry was also quick to praise the visitors. He said: “It was a really entertaining game of football to watch and the Hull Uni lads deserve credit.”

Ayton scraped their way to a 3-1 win at Newlands Reserves to maintain their superb recent run of results.

Despite not being at their best, they led at the interval after Tyson Stubbings was set through on goal by Dan Bywater and he finished superbly.

Dan Pickard then fired in at the second attempt after a superb save from his diving header from a corner to make it 2-0 to Ayton.

Ayton brought on Tom Wilde, whose first involvement was to handle in the area and hand Newlands a lifeline with 10 minutes left on the clock, but any nerves were settled when Stubbings bagged his second to make it 3-1 after Brad Parkin teed him up.

Fylingdales Reserves battled back from 1-0 down to win 4-1 at Alma.

Brad Easton fired Alma in front after getting on the end of Matthew Dennis’ free-kick, but Dales took control after that and Harry Purves equalised with a deft chip.

Ben Thompson’s brace and a Sam Bailey strike handed Dales the 4-1 win, with Stephen Stones and Cam Fox standing out for the victors.