Ten-man Boro hang on for victory

Matty Plummer fires at goal for Boro    Pictures by James Hunter
Matty Plummer fires at goal for Boro Pictures by James Hunter

Scarborough Athletic got back to winning ways beating Staveley Miners Welfare in a somewhat feisty affair at an overcast but warm Queensgate.

There were two changes from the team that drew against Liversedge, Joel Ramm replaced the injured Ollie Ryan and Matt Draper returned from his loan spell at AFC Mansfield and came straight back into the side for the benched Matt Plummer, who was carrying a slight injury.

Boro had the first chance after eight minutes, and nearly went in front courtesy of an own goal by Tom Jackson who almost diverted a Robbie Hawkes cross past his own keeper.

Staveley looked neat on the ball with Chris Bettney very prominent in the early stages and he produced a couple of dangerous crosses into Boro’s area.

Boro opened the scoring after 22 minutes with a beautiful goal from the vibrant Hawkes, Ryan Blott picked up the ball on the right and fed Hawkes who unleashed a dipping shot over a back pedalling Dan Tollerfield.

The game began to become a tad highly-strung with some sneaky, late and hefty tackles especially on Blott. The situation wasn’t helped by the officials who at times seemed to struggle with the occasion.

Blott took his own retribution in the only way he knows how, when he grabbed Boro’s second after 34 minutes. A long free-kick from Daz Winter found the Boro striker, he held off the challenge of Dwayne Wiley before lashing past Tollerfield.

Staveley were still in it and Steve Wilson had to make a smart save from Andrew Fox.

Right on the stroke of half-time Boro nearly made it three when some sustained pressure ended with a cross that fell to Tom Adams six yards out, his goal-bound shot was well held by Tollerfield.

The second half struggled to get going, with a run and shot by Staveley’s Kyle Hawthorn being the only chance of note.

It all kicked off though 20 minutes from time. Blott sent over a cross from the right that was headed back across goal by Tony Hackworth, Joel Ramm’s volley was blocked, Hawkes tried to win possession and looked to be fouled by Jackson, as the ball was cleared,

The pair came together in a swift bout of handbags, leading to a lengthy discussion between officials.

As both players walked away shaking hands the referee sent them both off, to the bewilderment of everyone in the ground.

The game restarted and a shot by Fox was turned aside by Wilson, Boro’s next chance came when sub Plummer released Blott, but his strong strike was held by Tollerfield.

Plummer then blazed over, before a shot by Joe Thornton was again dealt with by Wilson.

After 86 minutes Staveley pulled one back as a corner from the right was headed in at the far post by an unmarked Martin Brissett.

It was nearly a case of Liversedge revisited as Boro began falling deeper and deeper, inviting pressure on their goal. Only some timely tackles and clearances from Winter and Matt Draper kept Boro’s lead intact.