Ten-man Boro hold on for a point

Ten-man Scarborough Athletic showed true resolve on Tuesday night when they grabbed a share of the spoils against Farsley at a fiery Throstle’s Nest.

Wednesday, 18th March 2015, 12:44 am

Having given Boro an early lead, striker Tom Corner was given a straight red card for elbowing Farsley defender James Riley, thus dumping the visitors on the back foot.

Boro didn’t wilt though, they demonstrated the character required to force a 2-2 draw in a real six-pointer against their play-off rivals.

Had Athletic kept all 11 players on the field then they would surely have won the game comfortably.

As after a shaky start they soon took full control of this key fixture.

Gibraltar international Adam Priestley should have given Farsley the lead after 12 minutes, but he side-footed wide after good work from Ryan Serrant.

Boro were not as wasteful, with Corner turning home a Alex Metcalfe ball minutes later to give them the advantage.

Corner could have added a couple more before his decisive flashpoint.

Things began to heat up when Boro’s Ben Middleton and Farsley’s Aiden Savory exchanged handbags following a tangle on the touchline.

This brawl clearly shook up referee Jamie Rhodes, who gave Corner his marching orders seconds later when the striker led with his elbow when challenging Riley for the ball.

The situation got worse seconds later when Boro failed to cut out a throughball, Priestley kept his cool to convert and level the scores.

This lead was short-lived though, as Ryan Blott played the ball into the path of Metcalfe. The winger turned on the afterburners to outstrip the defence and lash home past Tom Taylor.

That was that for a thrilling first half, and the action didn’t let up after the break.

Following some sustained pressure, Farsley managed to restore parity for a second time when Savory took advantage of some indecision at the back and the striker finished well.

Many would have expected Boro to fold at that point, but they did exactly the opposite and went for the jugular.

Cameron Murray whipped an effort just over the bar and then Jimmy Beadle pulled the trigger from 45 yards out, sadly the drive lacked the required dip.

Referee Mr Rhodes continued to brandish card after card as the game continued on its niggly course.

Blott seemed keen to drag the action above this, as his touches in attack wowed the vocal travelling support.

His best of the night brought the raiding Pete Davidson into play, but his curling effort was held by Taylor.

As Boro tired, Farsley began to utilise the extra man, forcing Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot’s troops to dig in.

They did this willingly, with the defence putting body on the line, while midfielders and lone striker Blott covered every blade to close down their opponents.

This endeavor worked a treat, restricting Farsley to nothing but half-chances and allowing Boro to clinch what could be a vital point in the grand scheme of their Evo-Stik North season.