Ten-man Pikes too much for Boro

Scarborough Athletic were shunted out of the North Riding FA Senior Cup semi-finals on Tuesday night by the never-say-die attitude of Pickering Town.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 11:16 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 7:56 am
Jacob Hazel goes close for Boro
Jacob Hazel goes close for Boro

Despite going down to 10 men and losing top scorer Ryan Blott to a hamstring injury, Pickering dug in and clinched their place in the final thanks to Nathan Kamara's late goal.

In contrast, Boro just looked a poor resemblance of the side that had soared to the top of the Evo-Stik North just a few months ago.

The only creativity they managed came from the live-wire Cameron Murray, while at the other end, they were easily cut apart by a Pikes side from the division below.

Niall Tilsley is given a red card by the referee

Confidence turned out to be key in the end, and while Pickering have it pumping through their veins, Boro seem to be haemorrhaging the stuff.

The derby battle chugged off to a very slow start, though Murray soon brought it to life.

The diminutive attacker was freed up on the Pickering goal, but his low finish was met by a fine stop from keeper Toby Wells.

Things continued to go Boro's way as referee Chris Keightley gave Pikes skipper Niall Tilsley a straight red in the 18th minute after an over-excited challenge on former teammate Matty Turnbull.

Niall Tilsley is given a red card by the referee

The visitors then missed another gilt-edged chance when Hazel's low strike smacked against the post and Chris Bolder turned the rebound wide.

Blott then pulled up just before the break, and it just seemed destined to be Boro's night.

Nelthorpe saw a skidding drive held by Wells when the new half began and then Hazel prodded a pacy cross just over the Pickering bar.

But goals win matches and, not for the first time in recent weeks, Boro just didn't look a huge threat.

Pickering began to build as a side, inspired by Boro's lack of potency, and they almost took the lead with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Ryan Cooper beat keeper Tom Morgan to the ball, he lifted it goalwards, but his effort was scooped clear by Turnbull in the nick of time.

Former Boro man Eddy Birch then squeezed free on Tom Morgan's goal, but the keeper made a superb point-blank save.

Then, in the 77th minute, Kamara broke free of a fragile Boro defence, the big man taking his time before steering it underneath Morgan and into the bottom corner.

Boro pushed on against the 10 men after this, and they saw Joe Danby's defensive header pushed over his own bar by the acrobatic Wells.

As things continued to heat up, the numbers were levelled at 10 each when Nelthorpe lost his rag and said something cutting that earned a red card from the ref.

There was still time for another great Boro chance that fell to the most unlikely of figures.

Having gone forward for a last-minute corner, the ball struck keeper Morgan on the back of the head, beat Wells, but sadly for Boro beat the bar.

The referee blew seconds later to complete a depressing night for Boro and their travelling fans.