'That wasn't a game of football' blasts Goalsports boss Plumpton after Trophy final farce

Goalsports, who won the League Trophy in bizarre circumstances tonight
Goalsports, who won the League Trophy in bizarre circumstances tonight

Goalsports player-boss Mark Plumpton slammed the behaviour of opponents Eastway and the supporter who ran on the pitch and attacked referee Bill Pashby after they won the League Trophy in bizarre circumstances at Mill Lane tonight.

"That wasn't a game of football," blasted Plumpton.

"That was the worst thing I've ever seen in local football. Every lad in there has some kind of scar on him.

"It was brutal. That's why we don't have referees and why young lads don't want to take up the game.

"This is a league spectacle, and look what we got."

Pashby had earlier shown six Eastway players yellow cards, which turned into reds for Joe Turner, Tom Fennell and Bobby Penny in the second half after they went into the ref's book for a second time and were given their marching orders.

The game started with a bang, Goalsports taking the lead in the first minute when a corner was bundled into the back of the net by skipper Dan Pickard.

Eastway levelled up in scintillating fashion as their captain and talisman Eric Hall expertly controlled Dave Darling's raking ball on his chest before slamming a superb 25-yard effort past the Goalsports keeper.

Goalsports regained their lead when Plumpton's miscued effort found Tyson Stubbings in space at the back post and the wide man made no mistake in hammering home.

Eastway were further aggrieved when they had a goal disallowed after the break as Pashby blew up for a foul on the edge of the box after a header had lobbed the Goalsports keeper.

Hall, Penny and Turner all received yellow cards in the first half, and Turner's night was cut short just minutes into the second half after a late and high challenge.

Cards followed for Nathan Till, Tom Fennell and sub Ross Bland, before Penny was given his marching orders, for what appeared to be a strong but well-timed sliding challenge.

Sports skipper Pickard and Stu Wilson both went into the book on what was proving to be a tricky encounter to referee for Pashby.

Till was then sent for an early bath by Pashby, leaving Eastway with just eight men left on the pitch.

Eastway were again incensed when Goalsports were awarded a penalty, but they felt justice was done when their keeper Jordan Wood, who was outstanding throughout, saved Stubbings' tame spot-kick.

Moments later, madness ensued as the Eastway supporter made his way onto the field and struck the ref, leading to the game being abandoned.

After a short delay, it was confirmed the 2-1 scoreline stood and Goalsports were handed the trophy, albeit without a presentation afterwards.

Plumpton added: "I'm so pleased that our lads kept their heads when they could've lost them.

"They've battled back and stuck to what we said to do, but at the end of the day that's not important.

"What's important is Bill (Pashby), I feel so sorry for him."


Jordan Wood (Eastway)

Made a string of superb saves, including one from the penalty spot, to keep his side in the game.