Town battle back to secure derby double success

editorial image

On a bitterly cold afternoon Scarborough Town turned on the style to maintain their 100 per cent home record in the league with a 6-1 victory over Scarborough Athletic Reserves.

After an even first 10 minutes it was the visitors, who were on the back of an eight-game unbeaten run, who took the lead when Wilf Dinsdale’s shot was deflected past Darrol Lewis by John Price.

From the restart Town went on the attack and were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position. Jamie Patterson’s shot took a slight deflection and Marc Wain in the Athletic goal did well to hold on to the ball, low down to his left.

Patterson was then involved in Town’s equaliser. His inch-perfect diagonal pass was taken down by Sean Exley, whose first touch took him inside the full-back.

Exley charged into the box and his fierce drive found the back of the net.

On 17 minutes, Exley, who had been hugging the right touchline, cut in-field and fed Fryirs, but he fired over.

Town continued to have the better of things and were then awarded what appeared to be a soft penalty when Jamie Bradshaw went down in the box. Kris Tate stepped up and coolly slotted the ball home, sending Wain the wrong way to put Town in the lead for the first time in the contest.

Just after the half-hour mark Athletic finally managed a period of pressure.

Ryan Jackson was forced into a diving clearance after good play from Dom Richardson and Callum Reid.

The resulting corner caused panic in the Town six-yard box before it was put out for another corner from which James Webb headed over.

Athletic’s period of pressure was short-lived and on 39 minutes Town won a free kick in a central position 25 yards out. Exley looked favourite to take it but Fryirs stepped up and curled a beautiful shot into the top corner of the net despite the best efforts of Wain in the Athletic goal. Town certainly deserved their 3-1 lead at the break.

The second half started with Town on the front foot and they created a number of chances before Kris Tate made it four.

Jamie Bradshaw took a short corner to Tate, who ran unchallenged into the box before smashing the ball home.

By now Town were on top and started to carve open the Athletic defence. A Bradshaw cross fell to Patterson, but his goal-bound effort was blocked and Wain saved well after the rebound fell to Fryirs.

Patterson was back in the action moments later when he failed to get on the end of a deep cross. Collins was on hand once more but Wain somehow blocked with his shoulder to send the ball out for a corner. From the corner Briggs scored his first goal for the club to make the score 5-1.

Athletic’s Ben Slade was then shown a red card for foul and abusive language as the game threatened to boil over.

Town seemed to be creating chances at will. Wain pulled off an acrobatic save to his left to deny Collins and minutes later Collins turned and his curling shot beat Wain but came back off the bar.

Sean Exley made it 6-1 to complete another solid victory for Town, who now sit 12 points clear at the top of the division.

Town: Lewis, Nock, Jackson, Pickles, Briggs, Exley, Tate (Nelson 75), Patterson, Bradshaw, Luntley (Thomas 70), Fryirs (Collins 60).

Athletic: Wain, Ykhlef, Richardson, Dinsdale, Parrett, Webb, Slade, Price, Sygrove, Reid, Palmer. Subs: Sonko, Foster, Booroff, Davies, Hopkins.