Town edge towards title

editorial image

Scarborough Town now have one hand on Humber Premier first division trophy after a convincing win against Malet Lambert while their only challengers Bransholme Athletic lost at Driffield FC.

Town have now opened up a five-point gap at the top of the table and have an unbeatable goal difference, therefore they need only one point from their final home game of the season against Howden at the McCain Sports Ground next Saturday.

The first few minutes of this game were played out in midfield, but the Hull team had the first sight of goal when Jordan Crooks hit a free-kick firmly but straight at Town keeper Darrol Lewis.

Town’s first chance came straight afterwards, when Jamie Bradshaw went down the right wing and pulled the ball back across goal but Danny Collins was unable to make a clean contact.

Town were not to be denied for much longer and took the lead in the 12th minute. Ben Luntley broke through the visitors’ defensive line and, despite being upended by keeper Dave Constable, managed to keep his composure and stab the ball into the net from a grounded position.

Referee John Woodall - nephew of the former Scarborough FC striker of the same name - would otherwise have had to have given a penalty and red-carded the keeper.

The visitors showed some neat touches and set up a chance for Sam Hawksworth which Lewis saved and his fellow defenders scrambled the ball to safety.

A free-kick from Crooks was then tipped acrobatically over the bar by Lewis, while at the other end Constable threw himself bravely at Collins’ feet to smother a chance.

Town extended their lead with an outstanding strike on 29 minutes. Sean Exley received the ball with his back to goal but swivelled and pummelled the ball into the bottom corner of the net from 20 yards.

Within five minutes it was 3-0, some excellent approach work from Luntley setting up a couple of chances which were denied by Constable but Bradshaw slammed the loose ball powerfully into the top of the net from twelve yards out for his fifth goal in consecutive games.

The second half began with midfielder Kris Tate cutting through the opposition’s back four but Constable got down well to block the shot from close range.

On 52 minutes Town’s fourth goal was an individual effort from Collins, out-muscling his marker and then chipping delightfully over the onrushing keeper.

Malet Lambert continued to pose the occasional threat but were thwarted by a great intervention from Town skipper Ricky Nock, however the home team always looked likely to add to their score and Constable saved from Collins after Bradshaw had forced his way past three defenders at high speed.

On 59 minutes Town produced a spell of Barcelona-like interpassing from Collins, Luntley and Bradshaw, and although Constable initially produced a great save Ryan Jackson made no mistake in converting the rebound to move the scoreline to 5-0.

Constable continued his excellent display by making a super save from Collins, then visiting striker Ben Hawksworth should have done better when he broke away but over-ran the ball to lose the chance.

Nevertheless Malet Lambert broke their duck when Sam Hawksworth went to ground in the Town area and the referee awarded a penalty which Hawksworth duly converted.

Town’s big lead allowed them to relax in the final period of the game, but Lewis was overconfident when trying to dribble the ball around an opponent rather than clear the ball upfield and Crooks pounced to dispossess the home keeper and put the ball into the empty net to make the final score 5-2.

Town’s thoughts now turn to the League Cup semi final against Premier Division side Reckitts at Pocklington on Wednesday evening before returning to their home soil on Saturday for their chance to clinch the division one title at their first attempt.

l Town: Lewis, Nock, Briggs, Pickles, Gill, Patterson, Bradshaw (Darling 62), Tate (Jackson 53), Luntley (Fryirs 62), Collins, Exley.