Town stay top after Long Riston success

editorial image

SCARBOROUGH Town extended their lead at the top of the division with a win over Long Riston, despite having to come-back from a 3-1 half-time deficit.

Town were straight out of the blocks and worked a great chance after only three minutes, a Neil Fryirs effort was saved by the outstretched leg of Riston keeper Dave Adamson, Kris Tate’s follow-up was blocked and Chris Nelson then hit the ball just over the bar. Nifty footwork by Martyn Ferrey then gave Tate a chance but Adamson rescued his side again, and good work from Nelson and Fryers set up Sean Exley who shot over from 20 yards.

Town showed some inventiveness with a quick throw by Exley sending Ben Luntley down the left wing but his low cross was cleared, then a short corner from Tate allowed Luntley to cut into the box but shoot narrowly over. As the Town pressure built up, some good approach work set up Exley whose shot thudded against the post, and with only 15 minutes on the clock Luntley wriggled clear but was frustrated by a top-drawer save from the flying Adamson.

The visitors finally began to play their part in the game with a couple of corners, but the action switched back to the other end when Ben Briggs overlapped on the left for a Nelson header which beat the keeper but was cleared off the line.

Exley nearly broke the deadlock but Adamson dived full-length to tip his effort onto the post and out, then astonishingly it was Long Riston who took the lead on 32 minutes when Town lost concentration from a corner and Liam Clucas netted from short range.

Town continued to play the ball to feet, and an effective passing move across the field resulted in a blocked shot from Ferrey. A run from Baz Gill and a dribble from Ferrey heightened Town’s expectations, and the scores were levelled when Luntley ran on to equalise after 35 minutes.

The same combination saw Luntley shoot marginally too high before Exley nipped through the backline but Adamson stuck out a foot to deflect the effort away. Nelson earned the next chance and seemed to have taken the ball around the keeper only for the lightning reactions of Adamson to come to Riston’s rescue yet again. When Luntly finally became the first Town player to get round the keeper, his effort was cleared off the line by full back Shaun Wilson.

On 44 minutes a Riston breakaway saw Danny Barron give the visitors a totally undeserved lead, and Town’s disappointment turned to despair when within seconds Gareth Edeson unleashed a thunderous shot which flashed unstoppably into the home net to make it 3-1.

Town boss Sean Rennison was stung into making three substitutions at half time and a number of positional changes, and Town once again started off as if they meant business, with Gill working a shooting chance but unable to get the better of Adamson. However Town pulled a goal back on 49 minutes when Fryirs went down the left wing to set up a scramble with Kris Tate taking advantage to net from close in. On 51 minutes a long throw from Ricky Nock was glanced on by Gill and deflected off the unfortunate Karl Fitzpatrick and past Adamson to level the game at 3-3.

Town continued at high tempo, with a Luntley effort blocked and a Tate corner headed over by Jamie Patterson. Then good work from Nock in the middle of the park set up Tate but the heroic Adamson tipped the ball away to safety. The home side finally went ahead on 63 minutes, when Neil Fryirs found space and hit a 30-yarder just inside the post.

A long throw from Nock instigated another scramble in the Riston box, and full back Wilson made his second goalline clearance of the game. Gill headed a Luntly centre powerfully over the top, but on 72 minutes Town increased their lead thanks to the determination and persistence of Nelson who gained possession and coolly threaded the ball to Danny Collins who finished well.

A foul on Luntley brought the game’s only yellow card to Fitzpatrick, and the free kick from Fryirs was thwarted by yet another flying save from Adamson. A rare Riston sortie earned a free kick which was hit straight at home keeper Darrol Lewis, but back at the other end headers from Gill and Patterson were narrowly off target and Collins worked himself a chance but chipped the ball over the bar.

Town: Lewis, Jackson (Pickles 45), Briggs, Gill, Nock, M.Ferrey (Patterson 45), Nelson, Tate, Luntley, Fryirs, Exley (Collins 45)