Town stunned by Reckitts

editorial image

Scarborough Town 1 Reckitts 5

Scarborough Town had no joy against reigning Humber Premier League champions Reckitts who still claim to be in with a chance of retaining their title by the end of the campaign.

Reckitts lined up in confident mood and began to pass the ball around in great style with Town struggling to get a foothold in the game. The visitors went 1-0 up after only nine minutes when a cross from the left was volleyed home in fine style by John Leonard.

Town finally began to string their passes together but failed to create a clear chance until Shane Holt seized on a mistake by Mike Barlett to take a shot from 20 yards which was saved at full stretch by Reckitts keeper Tom Nicholson. Jamie Bradshaw nearly went through but was closed down at the last moment and good work from Andy Wardell gave Ricky Greening a shooting opportunity which was blocked by a well-disciplined defence. After exchanging passes with Holt, Greening than shot just too high from the edge of the box.

Reckitts still looked very comfortable on the ball, particularly Gaz Barstow who was pulling all the strings in midfield, and the visitors went further ahead after 33 minutes when a cross from Andy Brindle was converted by a diving header from Rob Kamis. On the stroke of half time it was 3-0 when another right-wing move gave Kamis the chance to crash the ball home from ten yards out.

If Town had hoped to pull things around in the second half, their plans were shattered right from the restart when Ben Kinsley barged his way through the centre of the defence and found the bottom corner to put the visitors four goals in front.

Neil Thomas was having an effective game in the Town midfield and his well-directed header gave Bradshaw a chance but Nicholson got down to save confidently. Neat footwork from Bradshaw then set up an opportunity for Jackson Jowett but the effort was blocked. Jon Manson made a number of runs down the right and on one occasion set up a scramble in the Reckitts box which finally ended with a Bradshaw snapshot going just past the post.

Good work from Wardell allowed Bradshaw to progress into the Reckitts box where he was comprehensively brought down and no referee could have doubted that a penalty kick should be awarded. Thomas stepped up and had no problem netting from the 12-yard mark.

For a while Town got totally on top of their opponents and were unlucky not to score again when a Bradshaw corner was met by a bullet header from Thomas which beat the keeper but was cleared off the line by the full back. Then Bradshaw hit an accurate curling shot from the left which again eluded Nicholson but was superbly headed off the line by a defender.

Reckitts rubbed salt into Town’s wounds in the final minute when Barstow capped his man-of-the-match performance by pouncing on a loose ball and taking it around Rob Clark before netting to complete the 5-2 scoreline which was rather harsh on Town but there was no doubt that the visitors were a very good side indeed.