Traf and FILO go goal crazy

Trafalgar Reserves line up before their 16-2 demolition of Scarborough Campus
Trafalgar Reserves line up before their 16-2 demolition of Scarborough Campus

The second division’s pacesetters both hit a staggering 16 goals each as they won their respective games by emphatic margins.

League leaders Trafalgar Reserves won 16-2 at 10-man Scarborough Campus, striker Tom Scales enjoying a debut to remember with six goals.

Sam Pickard was also in fine form in front of goal, scoring five times, including the goal of the game, a powerful left-footed effort from inside his own half.

Luke Jones added a hat-trick, while Al Wray also found the net twice in a game that Mikey Barker’s men led 9-1 at half-time.

Boss Barker picked out right-back Wayne Shaw as his side’s man of the match.

First In Last Out remain just two points off the pace in second place following a 16-0 success at Barrowcliff Reserves.

Despite the one-sided nature of the contest, it took FILO 25 minutes to break the deadlock after some stubborn defensive work by the home side during the opening exchanges.

Barrowcliff’s goalkeeper pulled off a number of impressive saves, but once the visitors registered their first, they scored five times in just seven minutes to take full control of proceedings.

Stand-in centre forward Paul Tose led the way for the Whitby side with seven goals, one of which was a penalty.

Jordan Purvis and Lee Brennan both netted four each and Stu Gregson rounded off the scoring.

Tose was named man of the match for his goalscoring exploits.

There were also goals to be found in abundance at Wilsons Lane, where third-placed Ayton got the better of visitors Fylingdales Reserves by an 8-4 scoreline.

Tyson Stubbings moved the home side in front but Simon Forde restored parity when he converted from the penalty spot.

Danny Appleby restored Ayton’s lead heading into the interval, and it was 3-1 shortly after the resumption when Stubbings struck for a second time.

Niall Prentice added a fourth before goals from Forde and Dan Richardson brought Dales back into it at 4-3.

Ayton then pulled away as Stubbings completed his hat-trick with a fine individual effort, Prentice struck again and Tom Duckworth added a seventh.

Stuart Wilson finally scored his first ever goal in senior football after years of trying, when he added an eighth goal from the penalty spot, and although Forde completed his own hat-trick late on, it was too little too late to save Dales.

Newlands Park Reserves came out on top in a seven goal thriller at home to Roscoes Bar.

Drew McCoubrey capitalised on a defensive mistake and fired Park ahead after 20 minutes, but Gary Hepples latched onto a ball over the top and shot into the bottom corner to level the scores.

Newlands scored a goal either side of the half-time break through Joe Hitchcock and Martin Kelly, moving into a 3-1 lead in the process, while Roscoes controversially had a ‘goal’ disallowed when the score was 2-1.

Mark Kenyon volleyed home to close the gap, before the same player turned provider for Graeme Farrah who lashed the ball into the roof of the home net to restore parity.

With both sides pushing for a winner, McCoubrey struck for a second time to win the game for Newlands in the 80th minute.

In Division One, Fylingdales produced a fine display to claim a 7-0 home win over high-flying Heslerton.

Dales were awarded a penalty with just two minutes on the clock and although Jake Faichney missed from the spot, he made amends when he registered the game’s opening goal to hand the hosts a 1-0 lead at the break.

Faichney added two more goals after the interval, with Barry Heyes notching a brace and Mike Kilpatrick and Lewis Peel also netting.

Dales boss John Cuffling said: “It was just an outstanding performance from us, we played brilliantly from front to back.

“The lads who got the goals took their chances well and Mitch Tuby was superb at centre-half, but it would be unfair to single anybody out when every single player did so well. This was a really good team effort.”

Gareth Driver was named Heslerton’s man of the match after an industrious display in the centre of midfield on a day to forget for Dean Storry’s side.

West Pier‘s clash with Newlands Park was postponed.