Traf, Tennyson and Castle spot on in cup thrillers

Sunday League news
Sunday League news

Trafalgar, Tennyson Reserves and Castle claimed cup wins in shoot-outs on a dramatic Sunday morning, with Ayton and West Pier Reserves the other victors.

Scarborough & District FA Sunday Cup

Trafalgar 2 (B Logan, Thomas) Newlands 2 (Josh Hakings, Tadman), Traf win 4-2 on penalties

Holders Newlands were knocked out of the Scarborough & District FA Sunday Cup by league champions Trafalgar on penalties in this keenly-contested clash.

Player-boss Liam Salt proved to be the hero for Traf, the stand-in keeper pulling off a save in the shoot-out to help his side secure victory.

Neither side managed to break through in a tense first half, with Newlands having the better of the chances, but after the interval Traf went ahead thanks to a goal from Billy Logan, the striker heading in after good work from Rob Pinder.

Neil Thomas made it 2-0 to Traf, tapping the ball into the net after fine work from Logan, and the North Riding FA Sunday Challenge Cup holders looked to be on course for victory.

Newlands had other ideas and roared back into contention thanks to a thumping 25-yard strike from Josh Hakings and a close-range effort by James Tadman.

Neither side could win the game in the 90 minutes so the penalty shoot-out ensued.

Logan put Traf 1-0 up, Josh Hakings levelling for Newlands and Dean MacAuley converting his to make it 2-1. Salt then saved Sam Cooper’s spot-kick to hand Traf the advantage and Chris Dove scored to put them 3-1 ahead.

Jamie Gallagher fired in the next kick for Newlands and so did Thomas, leaving former Traf forward Drew McCoubrey needing to score to keep the shoot-out alive, but the former Brid ace fired his shot against the bar and sent Traf into the next round.

Salt said: “Both sides were missing players but it was still a good game. Dean MacAuley was excellent at centre-back for us, using all his experience and he was the deserved winner of the man-of-the-match award.

“This was my first game back in action after being injured, but I only stepped in as our regular keeper James Burrows was unavailable.”

Newlands boss Joe Hakings said: “We should have won this game really as we created enough chances to do so. Right-back Jonny Manson was our man of the match.”

Kenward Cup

Tennyson Reserves 4 (Mahoney 2, Sunter, James) Filey Flyers 4, Tennyson won 4-2 on penalties

Second division Tennyson stunned top-flight Flyers, roaring into a 4-1 lead only to be pegged back to 4-4 but Tony Walker’s troops dug deep to win the penalty shoot-out 4-2.

Right-winger Joe Sunter opened the scoring after only five minutes, the Tennyson ace beating two Flyers defenders on the edge of the penalty box before firing his shot into the bottom corner of the net

Three minutes later Sam Mahoney sent a scorching shot into the top left corner of the net from 20 yards out. In the 11th minute the home side added a third, Sunter’s cross finding Mahoney who laid it off for Theo James to tap home from close range.

Five minutes before half-time player-manager Dave Brannan Jnr pulled a goal back to give the visitors hope of a revival, firing home after George Allen had saved a Filey penalty.

This hope looked to have been extinguished when Mahoney’s stunning right-footed curling shot restored Tennyson’s three-goal lead.

Flyers went straight up the other end from the kick-off and pulled a goal back through Jonny Keable.

James Young also netted to bring it back to 4-3 and with two minutes left Liam Sugden equalised to take the game to penalties.

Tom Allen, Sunter, Simon Young and Shaun Hughes were the successful penalty-takers for Tennyson, with keeper George Allen making a crucial save in the shoot-out and Flyers also missing a penalty.

Alma 1 (Clothier) Ayton 3 (Hick 2, Mockridge)

A below-par Ayton side edged through to the next round of the Kenward Cup thanks to a 3-1 win at Alma.

Mark Plumpton made a few changes to his Ayton side, but the Sunday League chairman was disappointed by the display his re-shuffled side gave, apart from that of striker Tim Hick who smashed in two goals.

Hick opened the scoring on 10 minutes with a cracking shot from the edge of the box.

The visitors proceeded to miss a series of chances, most notably Dan Bywater who managed to head over the bar from a yard out, and Alma made them pay for this when they fired in a 40th- penalty through Phil Clothier after Corey White had handled in the area.

Alma kept pushing for a winner in the second half but failed to break through the Ayton defence, and the visitors regained the lead with 15 minutes remaining when Kieran Friett flicked the ball onto Hick and he hammered the ball into the top corner from an acute angle on the edge of the 18-yard box.

Ayton made sure of their win five minutes from time when Marcus Mockridge’s bullet header converted a cross from Tyson Stubbings.

Plumpton said: “Hick was easily our man of the match, leading the line superbly and netting twice.”

Alma chief Jim Braithwaite said: “Ricky Stewart was our best player, he was up front, but he covered loads of ground, working very hard, so he deserved the man-of-the-match award.”

Fylingdales Reserves 0 Castle FC 0, Castle win 4-2 on penalties

Castle earned a second-round tie with Trafalgar after beating second division rivals Fylingdales Reserves 4-2 on penalties after a goalless 90 minutes.

The hosts defended superbly as Castle mounted numerous attacks throughout the tie, but they failed to breach their defences and the game went to penalties.

James Day, Carl Grayson, Ryan Sanderson all converted their Castle penalties to put the visitors 3-1 up, with a home spot-kick saved and another missed.

Brad Easton skied his shot over the bar to keep the home side in the game and Dales struck their next to make it 3-2, but Mikey Harland fired in his spot-kick to seal victory for the visitors.

Right-back Scott Ryan was the Castle man of the match.

Goalsports Trophy

West Pier Reserves 4 (Hartnett 2, Weetman 2) Whitby Wanderers 1

Andy Goodwin’s West Pier Reserves side had to graft hard to see off 10-man Whitby wanderers in this Goalsports Trophy clash.

A Mikey Hartnett chipped finish put Pier 1-0 up at the break, and the striker added a second after the interval with a stunning curling free-kick which bent around the wall.

Wanderers refused to submit and pulled a goal back and for 15 minutes looked like they could turn the game on its head.

Pier made a couple of changes and Chris Weetman made it 3-1 in the 80th minute after firing in a rebound from a Mikey Hartnett shot that had cannoned off the post.

Weetman’s 88th-minute finish made sure of the win for Pier, who had keeper Steve Malone on top form.