Campbell and Sowray sparkle as show delivers a knockout success

Malton boxer John Dutton delivers a stinging right jab to Pete Corner's head in his win against the York man
Malton boxer John Dutton delivers a stinging right jab to Pete Corner's head in his win against the York man

The home stars shone in Scarborough’s first-ever white-collar boxing show, staged at the Spa Grand Hall on Saturday night.

Five home boxers claimed victory on the 10-bout show, billed as Saturday Night Fight Night, the pick of the crop being the ninth contest, which was a draw between Dean Campbell and Chris Sowray.

Gordon Gibb is awarded the win against Daz Dicko

Gordon Gibb is awarded the win against Daz Dicko

Former professional boxer Chris Hooper also claimed a points win in his contest against Middlesbrough’s Lee Soloman, while Flamingo Land owner - and the event’s main sponsor - Gordon Gibb won on points against Great Ayton-based Daz Dicko and Sheldon Jopling’s explosive display saw him beat Hughie Burnside.

The fifth and final home success went to gym owner Colin Hogg, whose opponent Craig Holgate was unable to continue early in the second round. Malton also produced a winner in John Dutton, as he got the better of York’s Pete Corner on points.

The opening fight of the night pitted diminuitive Malton boxer Ryan Dix against Morecambe’s Walter Burnside.

Despite an energetic opening round by the Ryedale man, he soon faded against his rival, who made great use of his far superior reach and landed a couple of strong right jabs in the second round.



Dix was tiring rapidly and by the start of the third he looked to be in trouble after a powerful left from Burnside so ref Philip Riley stepped in and stopped the fight with Dix unable to continue.

Scarborough-based Onur Caglar was always up against it in the second bout, with his opponent Middlesbrough-based Jamie Wheldon far too strong for him.

The bout lasted less than a minute as Wheldon dominated, unleashing some lethal left-right combinations to the home boxer’s body, Caglar taking a standing count but being unable to continue.

Dutton claimed victory in the next bout, which was a more lively affair, Corner giving plenty back but the Malton boxer had a bit too much experience, easily dodging the York man’s shots.



Both men tired by the third round but Dutton had done more than enough to secure the verdict.

Thirty-five-year-old Hooper was next up in a close clash with Soloman.

The home boxer was thrown by his rival being a southpaw, but soon adapted his approach and he probably had the better of the first round, followed by an even second round, which saw Soloman come back into the fight.Hooper landed a good strong right jab to rock Soloman in the third, but the latter came back strong andkept going but it was Hooper who was the deserved winner, the verdict being met by huge cheers from the home crowd.

Gibb was next on show, and although his contest with Dicko was more low-key, the successful businessman certainly matched his younger opponent.

Despite being caught by a powerful Dicko right jab in the second, Gibb recovered well and rallied towards the end of the third round to earn a points win.

The first contest after the interval saw an impressive Jopling deliver a high-energy display against Hughie Burnside.

Jopling, who was well-supported by his home crowd, hurt Burnside with some fierce body shots in the first two rounds, but the Morecambe lad never gave in and fought back with some powerful punches.

In the third round Burnside was warned twice by the referee for persistent fouling, and after a dynamic toe-to-toe finale, Jopling claimed the verdict.

Bridlington veteran Mick Christlow put up a good fight in the next contest, but his younger rival Chris Judge claimed the win early in the third round with the Brid fighter being unable to continue.

Christlow survived a standing count in a first round dominated by Judge and was issued with another in the second round.

But this was delaying the inevitable as Judge was awarded the win with his opponent being unable to continue.

Scarborough’s Ben Rowe was unlucky in his fight with Dan Holder of York, as the home ace was knocked out in the opening seconds of the bout, walking into a massive shot from the lively Holder.

Next up was the fight of the night, with Dean Campbell taking on fellow local boxer Chris Sowray.

The duo traded punches throughout a toe-to-toe contest, and although Campbell knocked down Sowray in the second round, the latter fought back well as the home crowd yelled out their support for the two boxers.

At the end of the fight, ref Riley took the rare step of reading out his scores which saw the pair locked together on 28 points apiece so the fight ended in a draw - a deserved outcome for a cracking fight.

With the venue still buzzing from this fight, the 10th and final bout, between Colin Hogg and Craig Holgate was not quite as high-octane.

Hogg, who owns the Body Torque gym, was always in control of the bout against Holgate, who was deemed unable to continue early in the second round.