Goodings brothers and Cowton hit form in Barry Sheene Festival

Oliver's Mount legend Mick Grant in action during one of the parades at the Barry Sheene Festival on Sunday
Oliver's Mount legend Mick Grant in action during one of the parades at the Barry Sheene Festival on Sunday
Share this article

Siblings Mark and Mick Goodings were two of the star performers on an exciting second day of racing for the Barry Sheene Road Race Festival at Oliver’s Mount.

After an opening day dogged by thunderstorms and heavy showers the spectators were treated to warm and sunny conditions for most of Sunday’s races.

The start of the Barry Sheene Classic at Oliver's Mount

The start of the Barry Sheene Classic at Oliver's Mount

The motorsport fans were treated to parades in between the many races and they seemed to lap up the thrills and spills.

The first race of the afternoon was the second leg of the combined Syd Barnett 350cc Classic and the Red Rose 250cc Classic, and was held over six laps.

First leg winner and pole position holder Gary Jamison got away strongly, but it was Pete Boast who got the hole shot to lead the field into Mere Hairpin and led at the end of the lap from Cumbrian rider Kevin Strowger and Ross Johnson, with Jamison fourth.

The lead had opened to four seconds after two laps with positions remaining static, and by the next lap this advantage had doubled to eight seconds, with Peter Wakefield moving into third.

The fifth and penultimate lap saw Boast enjoy a 17.6-second lead as the gap between Strowger and Wakefield closed to 4.4 seconds. Gary Jamison moved into fourth.

At the chequered flag a dominant Boast was some 21 seconds ahead of Strowger, who had a six-second advantage on Wakefield.

The second race of the day was another combined event, modern solos up to 400cc and the Denis Parkinson 500cc Classic which was red-flagged at the end of the opening lap after an incident at the exit to Farms Bends.

The restart over five laps saw Alistair Haworth, another Cumbria-based rider, heading the pack at the end of the opening lap from Driffield’s James Cowton and Mark Goodings, from Doncaster, while John Fawcett headed the 500cc classic machines.

Cowton was just half a second down on Haworth at the end of the second lap, with Goodings 3.5 seconds adrift of Cowton.

Unfortunately for the local fans, Cowton retired at Farm Bends allowing Goodings into second spot, with Strowger climbing to third.

Haworth took the flag first from Mark Goodings and Strowger, while in the 500cc Classic category it was Fawcett who won, with Martin Lyons second and Billy Lyle third.

The next event was race nine, for Supersport (600cc) machines over eight laps and it was Mark Goodings who led into Mere Hairpin, however at the end of the first lap it was Cowton - recovered from his previous retirement - who headed the field by 0.9 of a second from Goodings and 19-year-old Maidstone-based student Tom Weeden.

At the halfway stage, lap four, the Driffield racer had extended his lead over Goodings to 4.9 seconds, with Weeden now 12 seconds adrift in third. David Bell climbed to fifth.

By the penultimate lap, Cowton had amassed a 24 second lead over his Doncaster rival, but the gap between Goodings and Weeden was closed to four seconds.

At the chequered flag Cowton won by 27.125 seconds, Goodings finished second a mere 0.2 of a second ahead of teen ace Weeden.

In race ten, the Barry Sheene Classic Superbike Race, Mick Goodings held a 0.4 of a second lead at the end of the first lap from Lincoln rider Jules Croft with Hetton-le-Hole’s Keith Pringle third 2.5 seconds down.

By half-distance Goodings continued to dominate at the front increasing the lead to 3.3 seconds, Pringle was now 13 seconds down in third. Positions remained the same at three-quarter race distance, and at the chequered flag Mick Goodings’ advantage was down to 2.3 seconds from Croft and Pringle.

The penultimate event of the programme was a six-lap invitation race which saw Croft take the hole-shot, but it was Cowton who headed the pack by half a second at the end of the first lap, with Mick Goodings third.

Goodings was second next time round, as Cowton increased his lead to 1.2 seconds, but by half distance Mick Goodings was ahead by half a second of Cowton with Croft another half second down.

Mick Goodings claimed the win 2.732 seconds ahead of Cowton with Croft third.

The final event of the festival was the second leg of the SuperTwins Race held over six laps.

Mick Goodings was in pole position, took the hole-shot into Mere Hairpin and had the lead at the end of the opening lap, followed by Bell and Weeden.

Halfway through the race the gap remained the same between Goodings and Bell, but Weeden dropped by another two seconds.

By lap five, Bell was at the front of the field and had a 0.6 of a second advantage over Goodings and this was who the trio finished the race.