Ingle’s fond memories 15 years after IBF title win

Paul Ingle on his way to winning the IBF featherweight world title against Manuel Medina at the Hull Ice Arena
Paul Ingle on his way to winning the IBF featherweight world title against Manuel Medina at the Hull Ice Arena
Share this article

Today marks 15 years since Scarborough’s Paul Ingle triumphed against Mexican Manuel Medina and won the IBF featherweight world title.

On November 13 1999 Ingle, known as The Yorkshire Hunter, beat Medina at the Hull Ice Arena to secure the world title, winning on all three judges’ scorecards after 12 gruelling rounds.

Ingle floored the durable Mexican twice before surviving a late scare in the 12th after taking a knee in the corner under pressure from Medina.

It is a night any Ingle fan looks back upon fondly, none more so than the man himself.

Ingle said: “The fans made that night, they were fantastic.

“Coming out of the dressing room and hearing the noise, it was like I was carried to the ring on a conveyor belt.

“It was electric. I remember the fight being similarly exciting and we had to try and somehow outwork Medina, who had a great engine on him.

“My fitness levels were good and we managed to do just that.

“To then have my arm raised at the end as IBF world champion was first class.

“I had dreamt of hearing the words ‘And the new’, that was the fondest memory of my boxing career along with beating Junior Jones in New York.”

Ingle’s fitness and conditioning coach Neil Featherby only started working with Ingle weeks before the fight, but remembers the night well.

He said: “I only joined up with Paul five weeks before the fight after Frank Maloney had called me.

“I could tell Paul didn’t want me there as the first time I came up to Scarborough we went out for a run and he barely said a word to me.”

Ingle soon took to Featherby and the pair formed a friendship that still exists today.

Featherby added: “From the second day he was a different man, we worked well together after that.

“I remember Scarborough was buzzing leading up to the fight and the atmosphere on the night was something else.

“We could hear the crowd from the changing room, but we still couldn’t believe the noise when Paul walked out.

“It was an unbelievable fight, both of them never stopped throwing punches. Steve Pollard told Paul not to switch off until the final bell and Paul started showboating and got caught.

“But he survived and it was an unbelievable moment when they announced Paul had won the world title.

“You can’t really explain it unless you’re there.

“I often think back to that night - It was a great time to work with Paul and it was a privilege to be involved in such a fantastic moment.”