Rhodes eases to victory in pro debut

George Rhodes v Frank Greaves - Action - Photo By James Williamson
George Rhodes v Frank Greaves - Action - Photo By James Williamson

Scarborough’s George Rhodes eased to a comfortable victory in his professional debut against Frank Greaves at Barnsley Metrodome tonight.

Rhodes, a former Westway ABC man, was never in trouble against the 37-year-old from London, who had only had three pro outings himself prior to tonight’s bout.

Roared on by a huge following from Scarborough, the welterweight took the initiative right from the first bell.

Landing his accurate and stinging jab with ease, Rhodes had the Londoner on the back foot right from the start of the first round until the end of the fourth and final three-minute session.

Rhodes, no doubt eager to impress in the debut outing in the pro game, backed Greaves up with some accurate right hands, but his follow-up work was often wild or thwarted by the wily veteran, who used the ropes to escape punishment on a number of occasions.

The Scarborough man continued the onslaught in the second, landing a right hand almost on the bell at the start of the round before landing a stinging right hook followed by an equally hurtful left hook in the corner.

Rhodes, even more eager to land a stoppage by this point, was caught after lunging in excitedly, and moments later suffered a cut above his left eye after a clash of heads.

Rhodes impressed yet again in the third, sticking to his jab impressively for the majority of the round, while several raids forward saw Greaves go into survival mode against the ropes.

Good combinations followed in the fourth, with the former Westway man showing fast hands and good footwork when sticking to his boxing, loading up to the body with a solid looking left hook before landing to the head shortly after.

Greaves stayed the course in pretty comfortable fashion after covering up and avoiding shots for most of the bout, while Rhodes looked impressive when he stuck to showing off his boxing skills behind a slick, accurate jab as referee Howard Foster handed him the 40-36 victory on his scorecard.

Obviously eager to impress his large following in the stands, Rhodes looked for the knockout on too many occasions, often missing wildly when raiding forward.

But that is understandable with it being his first taste in the professional ranks, and he will learn a great deal from the four rounds he got under his belt before his next outing on Saturday August 1 on the undercard of the Hull-derby between Luke Campbell and Tommy Coyle at Craven Park.

Don’t miss Thursday’s Scarborough News for report, pictures and reaction from George Rhodes’ debut.