Seahawks’ success

editorial image

SCARBOROUGH Seahawks were back in action when they hosted league leaders Barnsley at the Nest.

The game started well for the Seahawks, as they racked up six unanswered points within the first two minutes of the game.

Barnsley were quick to respond clawing the game back, and surpassing the Seahawks with a big three-pointer.

Martin Kitchen fought back for the Seahawks scoring eight points in the first quarter but they were still down at the end of the first quarter by a 25-15 scoreline.

The second period was a struggle for the Seahawks, who only scored eight points in the whole quarter. Some poor defending allowed Barnsley to extend their lead.

Kitchen picked up three quick fouls which saw him spend time on the bench and the Seahawks looked static and could not find a route to the basket.

Barnsley’s captain capitalised, scoring seven points and taking the South Yorkshire team into half-time 40-23 ahead.

The Seahawks came out strongly at the start of the second half with aggressive and attacking play which smothered the opposition.

Barnsley scored nine points in the first half of the third quarter, but the Seahawks’ tough defence and excellent rebounding stopped Barnsley scoring for over nine minutes.

This allowed a combination of Jack Robertson, Martin Kitchen and Matt Barker to pull the Seahawks to within six points going into the final quarter 49-43.

Seahawks still had it all to do in the final quarter and things became even harder when Matt Barker and Martin Kitchen both fouled out.

Jack Robertson scored 12 of his 24 points in the final period to keep the Seahawks in the game.

In the final minute of the game the Seahawks called for a timeout, coach Dave Simms needed to make some tactical changes.

The Scarborough team were down 57-54 at this point so they Seahawks changed to full court man to man defence which allowed Robertson to take advantage of poor Barnsley play and score a lay-up to make the game 57-56.

Sam Lindley who had played tough and aggressive defence all game stepped up to the full court defensive challenge.

He tied his player up in knots which frustrated the Barnsley player to the point of pushing Lindley which resulted in the match officials having to intervene.

Barnsley was served a technical foul which meant the Seahawks were awarded two shots and then the position of the basketball.

Lindley hit both freethrows to give the hawks the upper hand and still they had possession.

Coach Simms called for a timeout once again for an opportunity to calm his players, and make sure they made the most of the advantage.

The Seahawks ran an out of bounds play which would get Robertson free for a shot.

With 3.4 seconds on the game clock, Lindley screened a Barnsley defender, James Barker threw a perfectly-weighted pass which found Robertson who made sure he did not miss.

Seahawks take their first win of the season in nail-biting fashion 60 – 57.

Coach Simms said after the game; “It’s long overdue in my opinion. We have outplayed several of our oppositions this season but have failed to win, often at the final hurdle.

“We had to fight back, we certainly didn’t make it easy for ourselves, but all the guys dug deep and showed they wanted it, the crowd really got behind us when we needed it. This will prove to be massive turning point for us a team!”

The Seahawks are next in action on Sunday versus Teesside Mohawks.