Pier's late double downs the Moorsiders

West Pier show off the District Cup
West Pier show off the District Cup

A late blitz from West Pier pushed them to a 4-2 victory against Kirkbymoorside in the final of the Scarborough FA District Cup at Pickering Town's Mill Lane on Wednesday night.

This win increased further pressure on their creaking trophy cabinet, which already contains the Scarborough News Saturday League Division One shield and the North Riding FA Saturday Challenge Cup.

West Pier & Kirkby battle for the ball

West Pier & Kirkby battle for the ball

Things had looked to be heading Kirkby's way after they fought back to level at 2-2 on the stroke of half-time.

But Pier dug deep into their resources to conjure up a late double.

York League Division Two promotion hopefuls Kirkby took off like a house on fire against a sleepy looking Pier, and it took just three minutes for the Ryedale side to take the lead.

Veteran frontman Lee Alexander, well known from his days playing for the Moorsiders in the Scarborough League, was given far too much space in the box and he neatly finished off a centre from the right.

Pier win a header

Pier win a header

After this early shock, Pier slowly started to creep back into the tie and they were unlucky not to level shortly after.

Will Jenkinson rose well in the box, but his header was clawed off the line by Kirkby keeper Adam Magson.

Parity was restored after 15 minutes though and it took a moment of quality from former Pickering Town man Billy Logan to force Pier on terms.

The striker was too sharp for the Moorsiders' offside trap and he wasted no time in dispatching his finish under the advancing Magson.

After more end-to-end play, Pier moved ahead on the half-hour.

Jason Brown's back-pass put Logan in the clear, he rounded Magson and stroked the ball into the bottom corner of an empty net.

Kirkby responded well though, and right on the referee George Roberts' half-time whistle, they levelled matters at 2-2.

Karl Richardson rose unchallenged in the box and he comfortably flicked a corner into the back of the net.

Pier started the second half positively, with Logan looping a shot against the top of the bar and Tommy Barker driving just past the Kirkby post.

Both sides soon began to tire though as the time ticked on, with the play becoming stretched and a few lazy, late tackles flying in.

But as a penalty shoot-out beckoned, Pier struck their killer blows.

After a swift break on the right, the ball was flicked into the path of Martin Cooper and he drilled into the roof of the net from just inside the box.

Then, just minutes later, Logan skipped past the left of the Kirkby defence and rolled the ball to Barker, who made no mistake.

These two last-gasp goals sandwiched a superb save from Pier keeper Chris Ferrey, who somehow managed to cling onto a close-range header from Richardson. That could well have put a much different slant on the final seconds.

After another energy-sapping encounter, Pier must now freshen their legs for a potential stab at the quadruple when they tackle Seamer in the final of the Harbour Cup early next month.