Ratcliffe’s hat-trick helps Scarborough to Dinnington rout

editorial image

Scarborough bounced back from last week’s narrow 28-27 defeat at Settle, producing a fine display of handling to ease past Dinnington.

Scarborough’s mobile pack and lethal back division ran in a total of six tries, including a hat-trick from leading try scorer Tom Ratcliffe.

Dinnington fielded the kick-off and drove into home territory where Scarborough were penalised for handling on the ground.

Fly-half Danny Wilkinson sent play into the 22 with the penalty, but good defence from flankers Chris Purdy and Luke Raines secured the ball when the visitors lost possession from the lineout.

Scarborough fly-half Tom Harrison’s massive clearance took play into the Dinnington half and from the resulting lineout the Seasiders almost drove over.

However, the visitors infringed in defence and Harrison slotted the penalty for a 3-0 lead in the 10th minute.

Scarborough appeared to have scored the opening try of the game three minutes later.

Excellent work by Harrison and centres Graeme Jeffrey and Marcus Edwards released full-back Rob James who sprinted over, only to be pulled back by referee Jonathon Hill for a forward pass.

The Silver Royd faithful had only a minute to wait for the real thing when the ball was moved infield from a lineout on Scarborough’s left and Edwards scythed his way through three would-be tacklers to send Ratcliffe in at the corner.

Harrison added the extras with a superb touchline conversion for 10-0 in the 15th minute.

Scarborough then turned the screw and good work by Jeffrey, James, Harrison and scrum-half Jake Rollinson in the 20th minute took them to the line, where Mr Hill, not for the first time in this game, stopped the action to penalize skipper Nick Ingham’s men for an unfathomable offence.

However, when visiting fullback Martin Lock completely misjudged a huge Garryowen from Harrison, Rob James took the rebound from his shin and galloped away to cross unopposed for a superb opportunist try.

Harrison converted for 17-0 in the 25th minute and the Seasiders’ number ten was in the thick of it in the 34th minute when he stepped on the gas just outside the visitors 22 and released Edwards.

The Kiwi took the slightly wayward pass behind him, readjusted in a flash and powered over to score. Harrison goaled for 27-0.

Scarborough fumbled Dinnington’s restart and following some good rucking by the visitors on the home 22, blindside flanker Matt Acres burst through heavy traffic to score wide on the left to reduce the arrears at 27-5 in the 36th minute.

Fly-half Danny Wilkinson missed the wide conversion.

The first half try-fest wasn’t yet over and when good work by Harrison and Rollison on halfway released Jeffrey, the big Geordie spun on a sixpence, and drove up the homesters’ right flank leaving three defenders in his wake before releasing right wing Rob Squires to score.

Harrison’s conversion attempt just failed, but Scarborough went to the break with a 32-5 advantage and a bonus point from their four tries.

With four tries to one in the first half it may appear that Scarborough had had it all their own way but they had their share of defending to do with some great stuff from Raines, Else, Cutino, Williams, Rollinson, and the inimitable Edwards.

Scarborough had plenty more defensive work to do after the break when the visitor’s came back strongly and camped in the home half for almost all of the third quarter.

The south Yorkshiremen depended heavily on their No8 Will Marshall as ball carrier but Scarborough defended in depth although the visiting eight were bossing the set scrums at this point.

However, even following eight phases of play almost to the home line, a lack of composure saw Scarborough steal a fumbled ball and Harrison cleared almost to halfway.

Going into the final quarter the visitors who had by then lost the services of Marshall, injured in a tackle, appeared to have run out of steam when a thrilling move started by Harrison deep in his own half, which went the length of the field and through six pairs of hands ended with a superb second try for Ratcliff in the 68th minute.

Harrison added the conversion for 39-5. The big wingman’s hat-trick came three minutes later when another move from deep in the home half involving many pairs of hands took play into the visitors’ 22.

Scarborough were stopped short but were awarded a penalty for an earlier infringement. The kick was taken quickly and Harrison released Ratcliffe to gallop over in the corner in the 71st minute.

Harrison just pulled the conversion. Ratcliffe could have had another couple of tries in the dying minutes when he crossed, only to be brought back for a forward pass then fumbled with the line at his mercy.

Another thrilling performance from Scarborough brings the team’s total of tries scored this season to 31 in eight games.

Tom Ratcliffe leads the way with a personal tally of eleven but that is certainly not the whole story.

Rob James is a great opportunist, Graeme Jeffrey is now getting the freedom to make his pace and incisiveness count and with Paul White and Craig Farrell missing the talismanic Marcus Edwards has stepped up to the plate.

Harrison and Rollinson played well behind a scrum which spent a while on the back foot in the second half.

And it was great to see the fast improving Rob Squire back at Silver Royd.

Up front, the pack struggled at the scrum after the break but made up for it in the loose with all eight fired up and committed.

Leading try scorer Ratcliffe is unavailable for next week’s trip to Knottingley, however with 20 tries coming from his teammates so far, a reshuffle should not stall the Scarborough scoring machine.