Scarborough leave it late to see off Hullensians

Charlie Hoggard touches down for Scarborough during their win over Hullensians at Silver Royd
Charlie Hoggard touches down for Scarborough during their win over Hullensians at Silver Royd

Scarborough clinched all four points with an injury-time try at Silver Royd following an exasperating error-strewn performance against a Hullensians side which will justifiably feel they could have got something from the game.

Scarborough made the best possible start when the visitors were penalised at the second scrum of the afternoon and Fly-half Tom Harrison found touch with the penalty.

From the line-out second row Charlie Hopper finished off a drive to the line by prop Wesley Langkilde in the fourth minute for a 5-0 lead.

Harrison pulled his conversion attempt across the face of the uprights.

A great Hull line-out following the restart saw a flowing move down their left flank initiated by number eight Jason Conroy take play into the home 22.

Following further good line-out work by visiting lock Luke Cloughlan the Scarborough defence got themselves into a tangle over their own line and a misdirected clearance attempt was fielded by Conroy, who powered over from short range in the sixth minute to level the scores at 5-5.

The Seasiders had their fair share of possession but poor handling let them down. The visitors were using the bulk of their forward pack to effective use and were clearly first to the breakdown.

And when a superb line-break by Cloughlan almost took him to the line only a last-gasp cover tackle by Harrison stopped the big number four. However, a Scarborough player infringed and from the resulting penalty and line-out, blind-side flanker Andy Smith drove over in the 16th minute. Full-back Guy Martinson added the extras for a 12-5 Hullensians lead.

The visitors had their tails up and the home defensive line with Paul Taylor on for Langkilde, had all on to match them; once again number seven Eamon Chapman was absolutely outstanding in the tackle and at the contact area where some of his team-mates’ efforts were at times positively somnambulant.

However when visiting centre Matt Donkin was penalised in his own half and sin-binned, Harrison slotted the penalty to reduce the arrears to four points at 8-12 on the half-hour.

An interception inside his own half saw Harrison race off for the line, but the Scarborough fly-half just didn’t have the legs to go all the way. When Hull were penalised in the 35th minute the Seasiders went for touch and a catch-and-drive but managed, not for the first time, to get into a tangle.

However the visitors infringed and Harrison reduced the arrears to a single point at 11-12 with the resulting penalty in the 37th minute,

And the half ended when a charging Hullensians player flattened Chadwick off the ball and Harrison kicked his side to a 14-12 lead.

The early play after the break lacked structure with a plethora of unforced errors from both sides. Hullensians were clearly and repeatedly using professional fouls to slow the game down which made for dreary viewing from the sidelines.

And when Scarborough were marching the home eight back over their own line and flanker Ollie Dynan broke and dived into the Scarborough scrum the crowd were amazed when referee Hanson Haigh merely yellow-carded the miscreant and awarded a penalty rather than a penalty-try as a try was inevitably going to be scored.

However the try was only delayed by a matter of minutes and from a subsequent scrum near the Hullensians’ line the ball was moved wide left to wing Harry Domett, who scored in the 51st minute for a 19-12 lead. Harrison missed the touchline conversion.

With tight-head prop Paul Taylor substituted and replaced by Langkilde, Hullensians took the game to the home side and piled the pressure on up front. A series of rolling mauls were well defended by a now enlivened home side, but the visitors turned the screw and when a searing run by Hull winger Etienne Fauche was illegally stopped and from the resulting penalty and line-out, a catch-and-drive saw full-back Martinson driven over in the 69th minute.

The conversion to level the scores was missed and Scarborough clung on by two points at 19-17.

Into the last 10 minutes of the game a great break by Jordan Wakeham, on at scrum-half for Martin Robinson, took play into the visitors’ territory but the Seasiders seemed incapable of stringing a few passes together in the final third and the visitors cleared their lines.

The see-saw nature of the game continued and Hull’s Luke Cloughlan broke a couple of tackles in the Scarborough half and galloped for the line only to be hauled down by a smother defence.

Going into injury time, Scarborough cleared their lines with a 40-metre kick from Harrison to take them into the Hull 22 and great work by Chapman tidied up some sloppy stuff at an attacking line-out before Hullensians infringed.

Scarborough went for yet another catch-and-drive, the backs joined in the shove and Paul Taylor, back on for Ian Williams, was driven over, Harrison added the touchline conversion for a 26-17 win with the last action of the game.

Pick of the Scarborough forwards were Taylor, Taylor Smith and Chapman, while behind them Domett, Joe Marshall and Tom Harrison took the plaudits.

With influential tight-head Taylor unavailable next week and seven substitutes allowed, wouldn’t it be great to utilise the front row experience of Tom Fish and Andy Downes in the squad at Newcastle?