Scarborough slump to third defeat in four at Hullensians

Harry Domett touches down for Scarborough. Picture: Dave Campbell
Harry Domett touches down for Scarborough. Picture: Dave Campbell

Scarborough slid to their third defeat in four games against a physical Hullensians side that always seemed to have the edge in a seesaw encounter on Humberside.

However with the sides sharing 52 points, the outcome was in doubt to the very end.

Hullensians dominated from the start and an abrasive forward pack had the upper hand in the early exchanges; their pressure brought a couple of penalties, the first dragged wide by fullback Guy Masterton who made no mistake with the second for a 3-0 Hull lead in the 11th minute.

Eamon Chapman, who started well won Scarborough a penalty three minutes later when a shuddering tackle saw Hullensians centre Rob Harding fail to release and Tomasz Chadwick levelled the scores with his touchline penalty.

There was plenty of blood and thunder but little shape to the opening quarter with back-rowers Taylor Smith and Chapman in the thick of things; behind them Chadwick, centre Billy Parker and wings Harry Domett and Joe Marshall had plenty of defensive work to do as the home side continued to play on the front foot.

Hullensians won an attacking catch-and-drive on the visitors’ 22 before releasing Masterton, up in support, to power over on the blindside wide left in the 19th minute; Masterton converted his own effort for a 10-3 lead.

The Scarborough pack were now getting into the game and putting the home eight under pressure at the set scrums, however official Mr O’Hehir’s loose refereeing of the tackle area was inhibiting the Seasiders efforts to win ball in the loose.

A bustling foray up the left touchline by Domett took Scarborough deep into the home half; the ball was recycled from the ensuing ruck and moved across field for Marshall to power over wide on the right in the 27th minute. Chadwick failed to convert and Scarborough trailed 8-10.

The Seasiders now looked dangerous with Domett, Parker and Marshall making their presence felt. However the half ended with an exchange of penalties between Masterton and Chadwick and Scarborough trailed 11-13 at the break.

The second half opened on a positive note for Scarborough when they took the lead for the first time in the game; following a high tackle on Parker, Chadwick stroked over the resulting penalty for 14-13 in the 42nd minute.

Scarborough were in the lead but certainly not in control as Hullensians controlled possession and territory and it was no surprise that following a thundering charge by second row Jason Conroy, wing Jake Thakeray went over in the corner in the 51st minute. Masterton added the extras for 20-14.

It has to be said that the root of this score was when Scarborough failed to make touch with a penalty and the ball was run back at them.

Scarborough stuck to their task and struck back within a minute when a jinking run by Domett took him round four opponents before grounding under the uprights. Chadwick converted to snatch the lead back at 21-20.

With Hayden Ogilvie and Phil Stewart on for Matty Oxtoby and Tomasz Chadwick respectively, an attritional 10 minute period followed with the visitors ahead but hardly bossing the game.

Another exchange of penalties this time between Masterton and Tom Harrison who had taken over kicking duties in the absence of Chadwick, saw Scarborough lead 24-23 going into the last quarter hour of the game.

However last week’s failings against Doncaster came back to haunt Scarborough when they failed to defend an attacking lineout and No8 JJ Burrell was driven over in the 69th minute. Masterton missed the conversion but Hullensians led 28-24.

The Seasiders had one last chance to snatch a win late win in injury time when a penalty and kick to touch set up an attacking five metre line-out; having had two players sin-binned Hullensians had gaps in their defensive line while the Scarborough back division was arrayed across the paddock.

However a forward drive for the line was the chosen option and when that was successfully defended the game was over.

Hullensians deserved their win as they controlled most of the game. Scarborough were on the back foot all afternoon and although two superb tries and some excellent kicking from Chadwick lit up an otherwise patchy performance, no one was running the show.

Despite a poor performance at the line-out, pick of the forwards were Paul Taylor, Eamon Chapman and Taylor Smith while behind them Harry Domett, Billy Parker and Joe Marshall took the eye.