Taylor stars as Scarborough seal Old Brods win

Scarborough ran in six tries for the fourth consecutive Saturday, repeating last week's Yorkshire Shield success against Old Brods; this time in the league where their 37-5 win moved them up to second place.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 21st October 2017, 8:44 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 12:01 pm
Ben Martin charges clear to score Scarborough RUFC's second try. Picture by Andy Standing.
Ben Martin charges clear to score Scarborough RUFC's second try. Picture by Andy Standing.

Old Brods played with a gale force wind behind them thanks to storm Brian and took an early lead when hooker Cameron Hucker was driven over in the eighth minute following an attacking line-out.

Fly-half Dan Cole failed to harness the elements and missed the conversion.

Playing into the teeth of the gale Scarborough set to working themselves back into the game and began to boss the scrums with tight-head prop Paul Taylor in absolutely punishing form.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The west Yorkshiremen defended well for the opening quarter of the game but following severe pressure on their line, centre Bill Parker burst over for the Seasiders to level the scores at 5-5 in the 23rd minute.

A try absolutely out of the top drawer starting in their own 22 involving full-back Jim Perrett and Harry Domett, saw number eight Ben Martin up in support, crash over in the 31st minute for a 10-5 Scarborough lead.

Paul Taylor then finished off a superb half personally and for his side with a try on the stroke of half-time. Harrison converted for a 17-5 Scarborough lead at the break.

With the wind behind them, the Seasiders continued to dominate in the second half and winger Jonty Holloway strolled over in the 42nd minute released by scrum-half Jordan Wakeham after the Scarborough pack had pushed the Brods eight off their own ball at a defensive scrum in their own 22.

Harrison missed the conversion but added a penalty ten minutes later for 25-5.

Most of the fourth quarter action took place in the Old Brods’ third of the field and Jim Perrett completed the rout with a try on the hour and another in the 79th minute, converted by Harrison for a convincing and very impressive win.

Delight at the win was very much tempered by the news that after the game fly-half Harrison had an X-Ray at Scarborough Hospital and was found to have broken his hand in two places.