Those were the days ...

Boro v Luton Town, 1937-1938

(FA Cup third round)

THE Seasiders reached the third round of the competition for the second time in their history - having lost 2-1 at home to first division Grimsby Town in 1930-31 in their previous round three appearance.

Boro held Football League division two side Luton Town as the club’s all-time record attendance of 11,162 watched the hosts claim a 1-1 draw, with the Hatters winning 5-1 in the replay.

Boro v Crystal Palace, 1975-76

(FA Cup third round)

The 2-1 home defeat against Malcolm Allison’s division three Palace was watched by over 8,000 fans at the the Athletic Ground and by millions more on BBC TV’s ‘Match of the Day’ programme.

Palace made it to the semi-finals that season, only losing 2-0 to eventual winners Southampton.

Boro v Weymouth, May 1987

(GM Vauxhall Conference)

Boro celebrated their title success and promotion into the Football League with a 2-1 home win against Weymouth in their final match of the season on a wet Saturday afternoon.

The Seasiders were the first team to gain automatic promotion from the Conference as 1986-87 champions, and Neil Warnock’s team proudly displayed the trophy to the fans after the match.

Boro v Wolves, August 1987

(Football League division four)

Ray McHale’s goal earned Boro a 2-2 home draw in their first-ever Football League match.

The game is also remembered for the mayhem caused by Wolves supporters, with one of the Wanderers fans falling through the roof of The Shed.

Boro v Leyton Orient, May 1989 (Football League division four play-off semi-final, second leg)

Boro lost out on a spot in the play-off final by the narrowest of margins, sinking to a 1-0 home defeat, and losing out 2-1 on aggregate after Orient had won the first leg 2-0 at Brisbane Road.

Midfielder Martin Russell gave the Seasiders hope in the second leg with his goal, but the East London club held on to move into the two-leg play-off final against Wrexham which Orient won 2-1.

Boro v Chelsea October 4, 1989

(League Cup round two second leg)

Boro held the Blues to a 1-1 draw in the first leg of this tie.

With 20 minutes remaining of the second leg the Seasiders were losing 2-0, and 3-1 on aggregate, but goals from Tommy Graham and teenager Paul Robinson levelled the scores and hot on the heels of the equaliser, Boro were awarded a penalty.

Martin Russell calmly sent Chelsea keeper Dave Beasant the wrong way as the Seasiders completed a sensational 3-2 win, triumphing 4-3 on aggregate over the London giants in one of the most memorable nights in the club’s history.

Boro v Coventry City, October 1992

(League Cup round two, second leg)

Having lost the first leg to first division City 2-0 at Highfield Road, the Seasiders left it late once again to pull off a stunning cup win in front of their home fans.

Tommy Mooney pulled a goal back, then Darren Foreman equalised with a volley with time almost up. An incredible victory was completed three minutes into injury-time when defender Lee Hirst headed home.

Boro v Arsenal, January 6 1993

(League Cup round four)

After beating second division Plymouth, the Seasiders earned a glamour tie against the Gunners.

The game was postponed from December 23 because of a frozen pitch, and when it went ahead, the match was a disappointment, being played in thick fog and on a very heavy pitch and a rare Nigel Winterburn strike securing a 1-0 win for the visitors. The Gunners went on to win the final 2-1 against Sheffield Wednesday.

Boro v Torquay United, May 1998 (Football League third division play-off semi-final, first leg)

After narrowly missing out on an automatic promotion slot, the Seasiders were drawn against Torquay in the play-offs.

Mick Wadsworth’s Boro sank to a 3-1 defeat in a disappointing display in front of their home crowd, with Torquay thumping them 4-1 in the second leg.

Boro v Peterborough, May 1999

(Football League division three)

After drawing 1-1 against Posh, many Boro fans, players and officials prepared to celebrate a great escape from relegation on the final day of the season.

But an injury-time strike from Carlisle United’s on-loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass secured his sidea dramatic victory against Plymouth, saving United from the drop and condemning the Seasiders to the Conference.

Boro v Chelsea, January 2004

(FA Cup round four)

A cup tie against the Premiership giants which many thought would be the financial saving of Boro.

The Seasiders turned in a great display and only went down 1-0 to a John Terry goal - but the match never brought the cash rewards many expected.