Gig organisers at Scarborough Open Air Theatre promise 'biggest and best year ever' - this is when the first act announcement is

Next year’s line-up at Scarborough Open Air Theatre is set to be unveiled with venue programmers pledging “it will be the biggest and best ever”.

Thursday, 1st October 2020, 8:00 am
Updated Thursday, 1st October 2020, 8:06 am
First acts due to be announced
First acts due to be announced

Like every festival and major music venue, Scarborough Open Air Theatre – the UK’s biggest purpose-built outdoor concert arena – saw this year’s season wiped out by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Yorkshire coast venue’s live music programmers Cuffe and Taylor have spent the past few months putting together a stellar line-up for next year.

Cuffe and Taylor promoter Peter Taylor said: “We cannot wait to reveal next year’s line-up.

“It will be the largest number of shows we’ve ever programmed at Scarborough Open Air Theatre and the line-up will bring together music legends, global chart-toppers and some of the most exciting breakthrough artists of the past few years.

“We are also delighted to be welcoming back a number of artists who have played sell-out shows at the venue previously. Fans wanted them back and we are happy to oblige.

“We will be announcing many of our headliners over the next few weeks and we hope to have 90 per cent of our programming for next year announced before Christmas, so Scarborough can make plans for a busy summer season.”

Cuffe and Taylor, which is part of Live Nation UK, took over promoting live music at the Scarborough Borough Council-owned open air theatre four years ago.

In 2018, a record-breaking 90,000 music fans saw one of 16 concerts at the venue – bringing a multi-million boost to the Yorkshire coast’s tourism economy.

Cllr Phil Kershaw, Scarborough Borough Council cabinet member for quality of life, said: “It’s been a devastating year for the events and hospitality industry and with nothing for live music fans to enjoy, their spending power within the local economy has been greatly missed.

“While we continue to face the challenges of the virus, we need to look forward to a time when the open air theatre can return to doing what it does best – hosting top class acts, delivering an unforgettable concert atmosphere and helping the local economy bounce back.

“We are 100 per cent behind Cuffe and Taylor’s exciting plans and can’t wait to hear what big names are due to take to the stage.”

Previous headliners have included Lionel Richie, Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue.

The first headline act will be revealed on Friday October 2 at 8am. Find out who it is at www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk