Exhibit of the Week: Brewing tradition in Malton
Brewing has been an important part of life in Malton for generations. Both the main breweries, Russells and Roses, met their ends with mergers and buy outs in the mid to late 20th century. But vivid memories remain of the brewery buildings on Castlegate and Russells and Roses branded items are sought after locally.
Roses’ brewery was founded as early as 1767. It was then known as the Old Brewery. In 1780 it was owned by Walker & Dunlop. W Garbutt took over the Old Brewery at Malton in 1892 with Percy Standidige. In 1893 Messrs Clark, Rose & Co bought the brewery and started operations there in 1894. It was in business until 1969.
The Derwent Brewery opened in Castlegate, Malton in 1771. It was owned by the Russell family. In 1823 they went into partnership with Mr Witty, owner of the flour mill in Malton, and sold both ale and flour – something they were to continue to do for many years.
Russell’s bought the Griffin Brewery in 1878. The owner at the time was probably a Mr Kingston whose name is linked in ownership of the property as far back as 1840. Prior to that date the Griffin Brewery had had a number of owners, including Tomlinson and Kingston.
Another 19th century Malton brewery was the Albion Brewery. It was established in 1830 at the bottom of Castlegate by William Wilson and closed in 1857.
In 1897 Jasper Russell and Son went into partnership with William Wrangham of the Crystal Brewery which had been established in 1864. Following the merger they became Russell & Wrangham, although Crystal Brewery continued brewing until 1905.
Russells was acquired by Melbourne Breweries of Leeds in 1958. Later they were taken over by Camerons, who sold the site to make way for a supermarket. The brewery was demolished in 1984.
The Malton Brewery Company was established just as Russell’s brewery was being demolished. It was founded by Geoff Woollons, Colin Sykes and Bob Suddaby. The Crown Hotel’s stables provided the site for the small brewery and the first pint was pulled in 1985. Malton Brewery ceased brewing in 1998.
Since then two new thriving small breweries have arrived in Malton. Bad Seed, founded by friends Chris Waplington and James Broad, opened as a microbrewery on the York Road Industrial Estate in 2013 and has since expanded. Brass Castle, originally set up in Pocklington in 2011 and run by Phil Saltonstall and his wife Harriet, successfully makes beer in the centre of Malton. Their beer includes ‘Malton Amber’ made especially for the Woodhams Stone Collection to link back to Malton’s brewing legacy.
There are many items relating to Malton’s brewing history in the Woodhams Stone Collection. These include bottles, beer mats, advertisements, ash trays, malt shovels and forks, barrels and cooper’s tools and beer pumps. Some of these items will be on display in the exhibition featuring the Woodhams Stone Collection which runs until Sunday in the former Conservative Club, Market Place, Malton.