Fascinating early film footage of Scarborough and its surrounding area can be seen at Scarborough Art Gallery next month.
Scenes range from Flamborough ‘cimmers’ – egg collectors – to the final journey of the Scarborough to Whitby train in 1965.
It’s a Coast Thing is a selection of films from the collections of the Yorkshire Film Archive, and focuses on the coast, especially Scarborough.
The shows, at 3pm and 5.30pm on Sunday September 9, are part of the Heritage Open Days weekend.
The Yorkshire Film Archive’s director, Sue Howard, said: “The films will show changes through the decades, from the climmers at Flamborough in 1908 and footage of a military camp at Scarborough just after the First World War.
“Then there is the obvious holiday films, including Having a Wonderful Time!, a promotional film commissioned by Scarborough Corporation in 1960, and the less obvious workings of the Waddington’s Piano Factory.
“We’ll also include A Sentimental Journey by Frank Dean – footage of the last ever journey on the Scarborough to Whitby railway line after the Beeching cuts of the 1960s.
“We’ll also be showing film shot around 10 years ago of singer Danny Wilde – a local legend!”
Heritage Open Days aim to raise public awareness of our architectural, built, historical or cultural heritage. From September 7 to 9, members of the public can visit buildings in Scarborough not usually open to the public, while others which are open, but usually charge admission, will be free.
In Scarborough these include St Andrew’s United Reformed Church in Falsgrave. Rated by Pevsner and often referred to as “the cathedral of Yorkshire Congregationalism”, there is chance to visit its new heritage chapel and view the model of Medieval Scarborough.
Both the Futurist and the Stephen Joseph are offeruing back-stage tours and there will be a chance to see inside the lighthouse, home to Scarborough Yacht Club, and the fisherman’s cottage which is the base for Scarborough Sub Aqua Club.
The Masonic Hall, St Nicholas Cliff, converted from a private house in 1884, will be open on the Saturday. Another of the more unusual buildings to open its doors is the Knights Templar Hall, near Snainton.