Shoppers are returning to Scarborough town centre - but there are no toilets for them

Shoppers are returning to Scarborough but there is still nowhere in the town centre to spend a penny.

By Sarah Fitton
Friday, 19th June 2020, 2:03 pm
Updated Friday, 19th June 2020, 2:04 pm

Concerned readers have contacted the Scarborough News to say there are no toilets currently open to members of the public.

Facilities in Marks and Spencer, Debenhams, Brunswick Shopping Centre and Scarborough Railway Station are all closed, despite shops being open.

Read More

Read More
Scarborough shops open their doors

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Town centre shops reopened this week.

With cafes, restaurants and pubs all still shut, people are concerned they could be caught short.

Chair of Scarborough Town Centre Strategy Team Sue Anderson Brown is calling on Scarborough Borough Council to provide temporary toilet facilities in the town centre.

She has been in touch with the council and says she been told it is looking into the matter.

“We want to be welcoming thousands of people back to the town centre,” she said.

“Without suitable facilities, it deters customers from coming to town.

“It’s not just elderly customers. It’s anyone with health issues, expectant mothers and young children.

“Portaloos could be a solution on a temporary basis. It really is an issue that needs resolving quickly."

Scarborough Borough Councillor Tony Randerson, whose portfolio includes toilet provision, said the situation is being looked at.

"The issue is under constant review by the council and we're awaiting guidance from the Government," he said.

"The issue is social distancing and how we manage that."

He said there are portaloos expected to arrive next month for Marine Drive where provision had been made a priority before coronavirus hit.

He said the council would have to ensure these meet coronavirus safety requirements.

A spokesperson for Brunswick Shopping Centre said: “It is regrettable that our toilet facilities within the centre remain closed for the foreseeable future.

“This is not a decision we have taken lightly, however we felt it the right course of action as we would have been unable to re-open them safely in accordance with the Government’s current social distancing guidelines.

“We will of course be reviewing this as the Government guidelines change.”

The Scarborough News, along with other newspapers in JPIMedia, is urging people to #supportlocal and use their high street shops.