North Yorkshire music charity offers entertainment for home-schoolers
A North Yorkshire youth music charity is helping parents and carers with the daunting task of home-schooling and keeping children entertained during lockdown.
NYMAZ has set up a Facebook group - Online Music Activities for Families - which is updated daily with details of online live music events, rhyme times, singalongs, music challenges, mini-gigs and even ukulele lessons from the charity's friends and partners locally and from across the UK.
Visit the group to enjoy a wealth of musical activities from regional music organisations.
The activities invite you to:
- meet the instruments of the orchestra with Harrogate International Festivals;
Filey's Ebor Academy reverts to former name as it joins Coast and Vale Learning Trust
Help! A-level results next week - top tips for teens
Primary school set to become a home after planning proposal is passed
The Education column with East Riding College: Are you ready for the Esports revolution?
Dozens of East Riding pupils were excluded for breaching Covid-19 rules, Department for Education figures show
- tune in to a livestreamed sing-a-long with Rebecca Denniff from Music Tots in Whitby
- enjoy a sensory music visit to the seaside with York-based Accessible Arts & Media
- experience a mini-gig from Made with Music or chill out with one of their #MondaysMadeCalm performances
- create a family band with homemade instruments with North Yorkshire Adult Learning
- sing with the York Music Hub zoom choir
- play along with the Chapel Allerton ukulele group
Sarah McWatt, Director of NYMAZ, said: “With schools and nurseries closed, we know that there are lots of children who are missing their music lessons and activities.
"Life has really turned upside down for everyone so we want to do all we can to keep music happening for young people.
"The experience of making music is really uplifting and positive so our aim is to provide interesting activities which can help with home-schooling or be something fun to do during downtime. We’re enjoying working with local partners to curate a selection of engaging, high-quality resources to share with the group.”
Find the group by searching on Facebook for Online music activities for families or use this link here.
The activities are designed to appeal to children and young people from early years through to Key Stage 4.