Boro edge out Glossop

Boro put one hand on the all-important second place behind South Shields on Tuesday when they edged out Glossop by a 2-1 scoreline at the Flamingo Land Stadium.

Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 9:56 pm
Updated Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 10:01 pm
Boro report

Having been reduced to 10 men just before the interval, Boro managed to hang on in there and claim the three-point haul.

Jack Johnson returned for Boro on a damp evening and he was a part of the busier defence in the opening stages.

Glossop midfielder Jack Higgs twice tested the strength of the boards next to Tommy Taylor's goal, as he struck them with sweet drives.

These efforts sandwiched what should have been Boro's opening goal, as Glossop keeper Russell Saunders gave the ball straight to James Walshaw.

After twisting and turning, the striker smashed in an effort that shuddered the joint of post and bar and bounced away.

Boro soon began to take control of things, with Max Wright ghosting in and drilling wide, then Nathan Valentine saw an effort deflected just past the post.

It took a moment of true brilliance to break the deadlock.

Typically it was from Michael Coulson, who drifted onto a through ball and lifted delightfully over and stranded keeper and into the net.

Boro looked to be cruising going into the interval, but their hopes were dealt a blow just minutes before.

Valentine slid in with a late challenge on Glossop's spooner and referee Jamie Rhodes couldn't get the red card out of his pocket quick enough.

Things could have got worse just after half-time when former York man Andy Bishop released Ben Richardson, but the winger drilled straight at keeper Taylor.

Boro maintained a degree of pressure, with Bailey Gooda going close with a header from a corner in the minutes that followed.

With both sides having began to found their range, the game began to heat up as the period progressed.

Walshaw rose well in the box and his powerful header was well saved by Saunders.

Then, at the other end, Courtney Meppen-Walker saw a stinging strike held at full stretch by Taylor.

Despite being a player short, it was Boro who killed the game off with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Wright jigged free down the right and rolled into the path of Walshaw, who lifted home.

Boro were forced to hold out after this, with Meppen-Walker hitting the post with a header and then pulling a goal back with a deflected drive from distance.